It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just discovered car sized asteroid only 65,000 miles away.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
According to spaceweather.com, a newly discovered asteroid will approach earth from only 65,000 miles away.

Although the size of the asteroid in this drawing is WAY out of proportion, I thought is was cool looking so I added it to my thread (An artist's interpretation of a manned mission to a near Earth asteroid using NASA's new Orion spacecraft.).
But not to worry, this Potentially Hazardous Asteroid (PHAs) is only the size of a small car. It can be viewed by looking at the constellation Orion ( Orion seems to be a popular constellation) on the 9th at 1700 Universal Time. It’s calculated orbit can be found here.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 8-2-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

An asteroid the size of a car will STILL pull off significant damage around it's crash spot, if it's not taken care of.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
What kind of damage would an asteroid that size do anyway if one were to hit? Small nuke or bigger?

Deebo

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Geez. Is our planet orbiting into some sort of debris field? Just a few days ago it was revealed an astroid came within 5500 miles (or was it km?) or so and now this one. Crap. Maybe we are about to get whacked and that's why all the recent diplomatic flurry (www.abovetopsecret.com...).
edit on 8-2-2011 by pajoly because: added link to recent diplo scrambling

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Skate

To answer both you and deebo.
There would be no damage, this asteroid would likely break up in our atmosphere.
Actually on average we get two meteors this size entering our atmosphere every year.

This isn't really anything.

edit on 8-2-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

But not to worry, this Potentially Hazardous Asteroid (PHAs) is only the size of a small car.

It still has potential. Even if it was the size of a basketball, after entry through the Earths atmosphere, I wouldn't want to catch it.

Biggest reason not to worry is the fact that 3/4 of the Earth is ocean-covered. Chances of it hitting a populated area are miniscule.

Only problem is, since I said chances are miniscule, it probably just swerved towards a landfall in Albuquerque.

ETA: It depends on the asteroids make-up as to whether it will burn up in the atmosphere.

edit on 8-2-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This asteroid looks like it's going to stay a danger every year. I fast forwarded to Aug of 2015 and it gets really close then. I think our atmosphere will do a number on it before impact though. Whittle it down a bit in size.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Probabillity of impact is listed as 2.58482301396742e-279 so very much zero. It would be like Hiroshima if it managed to hit mostly intact, things that size have a tendancy to break up or disintegrate on the way through our atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

But not to worry, this Potentially Hazardous Asteroid (PHAs) is only the size of a small car.

It still has potential. Even if it was the size of a basketball, after entry through the Earths atmosphere, I wouldn't want to catch it.

Even if it hit a house, it would burn right through it.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What if what are called Asteriods were living things?
that would be strange

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Asteroid sized car only 65, 000 miles away.

Now that would be a great thread.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by butcherguy

Even if it hit a house, it would burn right through it.

Not all meteorite impacts are as destructive as we were once lead to believe.
Take the Tagish Lake meteorite in Canada for example. This was said to be a rock weighing several hundred tons that fell, broke up in Earth's atmosphere and pieces of it landed on frozen lakes. They were found laying on top of the ice. There wasn't enough heat to melt through the ice nor enough force to break though.

edit on 2/8/2011 by Devino because: Changed video link

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
well it was probly slated to hit in Arkansas but seeing how that state has a tendse to move around alot it will end up missing earth compleatly.
Can any one find Arkansas / its easer to find waldo.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

Huh?
It was right where I thought it was without looking. Just remember it's in the gnome states.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981
reply to post by Deebo

Probabillity of impact is listed as 2.58482301396742e-279 so very much zero. It would be like Hiroshima if it managed to hit mostly intact, things that size have a tendancy to break up or disintegrate on the way through our atmosphere.

It would have to be significantly larger than it is for anything to make it to the ground with enough energy to cause significant localised damage.

Meteoroids of more than about 10 tons (9,000 kg) will retain a portion of their original speed, or cosmic velocity, all the way to the surface. A 10-ton meteroid entering the Earth’s atmosphere perpendicular to the surface will retain about 6% of its cosmic velocity on arrival at the surface. For example, if the meteoroid started at 25 miles per second (40 km/s) it would (if it survived its atmospheric passage intact) arrive at the surface still moving at 1.5 miles per second (2.4 km/s), packing (after considerable mass loss due to ablation) some 13 gigajoules of kinetic energy.

Source: American Meteor Society Fireball FAQs

10 tones would be close to a rock of between 5-10 meters in size.

As you said, a rock like the one being discussed in this thread would likely disintegrate high up - if it did not it would just be whittled away by "ablation", which is the process where by the outer layers of the object are stripped away from the object.

new topics

top topics

join