It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency declared, NewMexico running out of natural Gas!!!!!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostinthedarkness
The failure of gas supplies is the pumping stations in west Texas have been under going electrical brown outs . Then when the compresser stations go down because of no electricity or low voltage the pumps shut down.

Personally I am amazed that the gas for the mid and lower section Of New Mexico is coming from Texas Many places in NM have Huge natural gas reserves. It must be the areas with the gas are selling it out of state and NM customers are having to buy ours from Texas . Gotta love the economics that causes problems like this .

Are you sure about the compressor stations? Most compressors run on the same natural gas they are pushing down the line very few run on electricity. It costs a lot to run high voltage lines everywhere it's easier to use a small % of the gas as fuel.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

From my knowledge in the NW the wellhead to the branch lines you are correct and many branch lines use the same but when you get to the mains they are electric fueled compressors .

www.kob.com...

New Mexico Gas Company is speaking for the first time about why tens of thousands of New Mexicans have no natural gas service. The company blames supply and demand, and a lack of pressure to push the gas through the pipelines. Power blackouts in Texas have cut off power to compressors in West Texas that feed gas into New Mexico. With the low pressure and high demand for natural gas, the gas utility says it's impossible to supply everyone. Up to 32,000 customers across the state are doing without natural gas.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

I resent that statement - New Mexico is beautiful and the people are peaceful. New Mexico has made their contributions as much as any other state.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Now they're saying some people may not have gas service restored until next week.

Thousands of New Mexicans are still without heat Friday as widespread natural gas outages swept through the state Thursday and some families may not see their service restored until early next week.

According to a press release from the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management service should be restored to Alamogordo, La Luz, Tularosa, Red River and Questa by late today. Taos, Bernalillo and Placitas should have service by Saturday and Espanola should be complete by Sunday or Monday.
Source

I have also been hearing reports that stores across the state are now sold out of portable heaters. Source

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Its New Mexico for pete's sake? Who cares? Its a worthless state that has never contributed anything anyways?

Speaking of not contributing anything....
This is a serious issue affecting tens of thousands of people. People will die because of this. So why don't you just take your ignorant banter to some other thread, okay? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Wow that is a very narrow minded view of a beautiful state that has contributed a lot. New Mexico also has one of the richest histories of any US state. I have been a member of ATS for a long time and it never ceases to amaze me that there can be such ignorant people on a site that denies ignorance.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Just to give a quick update, it's now Tuesday morning, day 5 of this whole gas fiasco, and 770 KKOB is reporting that there are still about 12,000 people across the state without natural gas. I don't have link yet, but on the radio they're saying 46-50% of Taos and about 52% of Espanola are still without gas.

We have another big winter storm coming through by this evening, and those who rely on natural gas to heat their homes are going to be in for a cold, cold night.

I've invited a couple I know in Taos who are affected to come stay with me in the Albuquerque area for the next few days. Anyone with friends/family in Espanola or Taos should do the same if possible. Temperatures are going to be below zero again tonight (with wind chill). Imagine not having heat. Not fun.

Take care of each other, New Mexico!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Los Alamos stopped Japan in there tracks, or do you not read history. I could on and on with this, get a life read some history, Then look up what NM is doing Today, I bet you never knew NM has the worlds 3rd fastest super computer on the planet open to public businesses. NM has the most PHD's per mile than any other state in the union that contributes to the nations defense and research and other fields, did you know most people in NM hold a graduate degree. Did you know that The Air Force has their main research center in NM. NASA also has large operation in NM. Did I mention Sandia National Labs ? You have to check out there new IR scopes, ever seen a laser beam shot into space? Want to see where a good portion of your tax dollars are being spent? So tell me specifically where NM has not contributed ? Most of this stuff is secret, so you wouldn't not know anyway.

edit on 10-2-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join