It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are ATSers preparing for 2012 or other disasters?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
drugs would be a good thing to stock up on as the value would rise dramatically, although the money earned would be irrelavant as you cant spend it if everyone is dead. a hot air baloon would be a good idea but you would have to head for the himalayers if the world floods.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Personally, I wouldn't prepare even if I knew it was 100% confirmed by NASA and the likes, why? what for? I think I would not want to survive in a post apocalyptic world, I have seen way to many disaster movies for that lol. I pretty much put my fate in the hands of God and just live life, I don't particularly believe the world is ending however I do know she is changing, so rather then prepare for the end of the world, I am adapting to our changing planet

edit on 1/27/2011 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: Typo

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Seeds accumulation and supplies that can last a bit. Thought about how to do tub laundry, learning how to bake bread, getting a old time sewing machine, cause we may be out of electricity for a while, if we even survive.

Also making provisions for running out to tp. Soft cotton fabric, diaper pails and bleach water. Haven't determined if I don't bug out, and the sewer/water system may not flush, where am I gonna take a dump? I don't mean to be crude or rude for that matter, in all seriousness. I am in a semi rural neighborhood, but don't know if it would be cohesive enough group to maintain civility.

so theres my 2sense. Any suggestions appreciated.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

I am planning on building a house completely off the grid myself... but It will not be for another 5 years or so.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I'm not. Only God knows when this world will end. If it is in 2012, so be it.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ffman

I don't think there will be any disasters (unless they continue this financial meltdown) in 2012, but I am sick of being raped by the utilities companies and want to move off grid and get away from all the GMO madness also.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
reply to post by ffman

I don't think there will be any disasters (unless they continue this financial meltdown) in 2012, but I am sick of being raped by the utilities companies and want to move off grid and get away from all the GMO madness also.

Im just doing normal preps due to living on a fault. Not too concerned about zombie invasions or such

I hear you on the utility companies. I wish we could do it! We'd priced what it would take to get even a 50% reduction in grid utilities and DANG... its expensive to be off of the grid initially ! WIth the economy the way it has been... we cant even do it now... not even a 30%. Our utilities here are outrageous. Last month we had an appx 600.00 electric bill! Every year here since we moved here about 5 yrs ago.. 2 or 3 months of 600 dollar electric bills. Its a killer. Given we have a large home.. but we bought the BEST trane system... and yet we maintain the big bills.
If you find a way to get off the grid that doesnt cost an initial 300K investment.. tell me!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Just the usual as for any disaster—two layers of bug out bags and a few alternative meeting places should leaving home be necessary. At home, about six month's worth of water, water purifier, and two years of food. Seeds. Crank radios, flashlights. Generator, firewood, medical supplies (potassium iodide, ipecac, antibiotics, aspirin) and lots of TP and books. Guns and ammo. Never seems like its enough though.
What I really want is a cabin or cave in the hills with all that, but... Anyhow, there's a whole forum here at ATS called Survival (under Current Events) in case anyone doesn't know. I'm a frequent lurker there—tons of great tips and discussions there.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'm enjoying my life, trying to be as good a person as I can be. I'm not preoccupied with surviving in a post apocalyptic world.

I'll enjoy the ride and let my body be be recycled back into mother earth if that's my fate.

Why bother worrying and spending so much effort and energy on trying to survive something that may kill everyone instantly anyway. Or bother adding negative energy by being fearful.

Life is for living mate. Enjoy it and feel the love.

EDIT TO ADD, IMO if 2012 is about ANYTHING it's about our relationship with the earth, our place in the cosmos and love. Not about the end of the world. IM(humble)O

edit on 11-2-2011 by kiwifoot because: addition

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm not preparing for 2012 as I don't really think anything is going to happen but I am making preparations in the case of a natural disaster so my family and I will be okay. Stocking up on foods that keep forever, water and medical supplies things of that nature. Just preparations we should all do anyway; my goal is to have enough on hand to last at least 90 days and then keep increasing it as I can afford to. I found some good freeze-dried foods; a little expensive but they have a 25 year shelf life if left unopened. So far I have a bunch of canned goods, freeze-dried soup and of all things honey. I choose the honey because it has many uses above and beyond sweetening things.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
I'm not preparing for 2012 as I don't really think anything is going to happen but I am making preparations in the case of a natural disaster so my family and I will be okay. Stocking up on foods that keep forever, water and medical supplies things of that nature. Just preparations we should all do anyway; my goal is to have enough on hand to last at least 90 days and then keep increasing it as I can afford to. I found some good freeze-dried foods; a little expensive but they have a 25 year shelf life if left unopened. So far I have a bunch of canned goods, freeze-dried soup and of all things honey. I choose the honey because it has many uses above and beyond sweetening things.

Same here.

Having a kid thats a transplant patient Ive found that the largest expense is buying the meds without insurance to stock up yearly... they last about a year. Insurance covers her monthly meds, but if you want to stock up.. get ready to bleed..
Even with a flood, earthquake, tornado... the meds are needed and supply can be cut.

Have you looked into mountain house for your freeze dried stuff? Weve used them for stock ups AND the camping trips we used to take. Its a wonderful company. At the moment theyve had a run on #10 cans ( supposedly due to fema buying them out) but here's the link

www.mountainhouse.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

I am preparing by enjoying my days more. I enjoy my food more. I enjoy the sun more. I enjoy the snow more. I enjoy the clouds more. I enjoy everything more.

I am not packing a bug out bag, or buying gold, or stockpiling anything. I always keep a fair amount of food on hand, but thats because I was hungry as a child, (we were very poor) and now I compensate by having cans fall out of my cupboards when I open them because they are too full. But thats neither here nor there. My way of preparing for the possibility that the world may end in 2012 is the same thing I do to prepare for the possibility that my life may end while typing this sentence. I just try to be grateful for, and conscious of, all that I have, all that I see, think, feel. The people, animals, wind, trees, you name it. I try to enjoy it just a little bit more each day. I am going to be making a bigger garden, but because I loved my garden last year, not because Im in fear mode.

What else can you do? Its hard to prepare when you dont know what you are preparing for. And if the world does end in 2012, I sure as # dont want to waste what little time I have left in "scrambling for survival" mode. Who needs the stress? I will handle it when it comes. Whatever it is.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

I am with you, gallopinghordes. I think it is prudent for anyone with a family to at least provide several months supply of the necessities. One never knows when a flood, earthquake or other natural disaster could strike your area. Or in the political environment of our world today, some sort of scenario which disrupts the economy or supply.

I have been working for some time on a supply which will meet my family's needs. If taken all at once it can be quite expensive, but adding just a little extra at every grocery trip adds up. Main thing is to meet basic needs first: food, water and medicinal needs. Everyone's specific list will differ due to differing needs.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BearTruth

I totally agree with that. If you do not have crank radio, light, and the normal "hurricane, tornado, ice storm, blizzard, whatever" stuff on hand, you are not really realistic. Its always a good idea to have certain items and a certain amount of non-perishable foods on hand, because # happens. Even when, especially when, the world doesnt come to an end.

I would love a good storm shelter too, but I may have to build my own. We will see. I need to settle on a house first.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Im just doing normal preps due to living on a fault. Not too concerned about zombie invasions or such

I hear you on the utility companies. I wish we could do it! We'd priced what it would take to get even a 50% reduction in grid utilities and DANG... its expensive to be off of the grid initially ! WIth the economy the way it has been... we cant even do it now... not even a 30%. Our utilities here are outrageous. Last month we had an appx 600.00 electric bill! Every year here since we moved here about 5 yrs ago.. 2 or 3 months of 600 dollar electric bills. Its a killer. Given we have a large home.. but we bought the BEST trane system... and yet we maintain the big bills.
If you find a way to get off the grid that doesnt cost an initial 300K investment.. tell me!

I am saving up money to buy a few acres in hawaii... build a small cabin total off grid. The price of solar is always coming down and hawaii is located well for solar and wind depending on where you buy and if you can do without certain things. Almost everyone on the big island has rain collection water. You can farm year round and there are always fish in the sea... minus them pulling another BP stunt.

My father owns 300+ real acres (100+ acres listed because they are mountain acres) here in KY. If TSHTF anytime soon we will be ok. He was NASA retiree I am disabled Vet with stable income unless inflation goes horrible. I have been trying to sell my house in Lexington for a year now but no one is buying. Anyone in ATS land looking to buy? Willing to sell for what I owe. UTU me

I have no fears, just retiring to a stable situation with the " just in case" things covered. I was just curious how my fellow ATSers were preparing.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join