It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a simple question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by hmmmbeer
Very simple: why, with all the new technology, automation and general increasing state of knowledge do we work harder and longer than ever? I was told, as young schoolboy in the 70's that the biggest problem facing the future was what to do with all our 'spare time'.

By now, we should all be living easily, fruitfully, healthily etc. Art & science (and sport) should predominate our time.

What happened?

You could live exactly like your parents (or grandparents) did, but you want more stuff. You're unwilling to live in a modest home with a single car garage. You want tw3o or three and the cars have to be new. You want the finest cameras, the biggest TVs,, and the most expensive sound systems,. You want computers, air conditioning, central heating and washers & driers. Your Master Bath has to be bigger. You work mnore hours because you want to buy all this stuff.

For the record I've rarely worked more than 40 hours a week, ever. And I worked a lot less hard than my parents or grandparents. I do live easily, fruitfully, and healthfully, etc. All my time is "spare' time. So for me, at least, your premise is incorrect. And I'm not in any way special or unusually lucky. But my 'need for more stuff' is probably less than many.

One of my kids has so much stuff his amply sized house can't hold it all. He has more "cylinders" than anyone else I know He has three new cars and a couple of classics, four wheelers, motorcycles, a new boat, and several large screen TVs. He lives "on the lake" P.S.: It's a crappy lake. He makes three times more money per year than I ever did. He's also in debt up to his eyeballs and beyond with a negative net worth, and I don't think he is very happy.

Nobody lied to us. Nobody has oppressed us. Nobody has cheated us. But we have much different attitudes about life. I would suggest to you that blaming Big Brother, the NWO, the Illuminati, etc. is simply a way for you to avoid taking the responsibility for your own life. If you're in a bad place, YOU made the decisions that put you there. No one else, anywhere, is out to "get" you or enslave you. What utter and complete nonsense.

You got that right : make a choice of what is important to you.: we are still in what many might call a smaller starter home.Kids left for their lives: we paid it off in less than 15years. then set to work clearing our vehicles ( which we drive till they die)and few credit cards. I choose to make very little and pursue my dreams...

You can choose frugalitty over an i "pos"

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

I totally agree. We can't have free time if we on the bottom of this Ponzi scheme are the tools used to make the rich richer and fail to do anything significant about it. Just wait until they up the eligible age for pension, dramatically cut social spending, bail out the richest folks in the world at the expense of the common folk, raise tuition fees so education is out of reach for anyone but the already well-off.... Oh wait.........

It sucks because the worst thing one can do is just "drop out" of the system in a wayward act of rebellion... Don't be useless, you're changing nothing and being selfish. Suck it up and fight for everyone's right to not be treated like a cog in this disfunctional machine! It drives me crazy how apathetic many people are - what happened to the hippies, man?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
maybe human being's demand can't be satisfied after you get something you want you will feel that you still be lack of something .so you are always busy

new topics

<< 1   >>

join