It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Their, There, and They're and other misused words - mistakes like these make you look illiterate!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
They're, they're now, OP. Its not that bad. Don't let it effect you so much. Two many people worry about grammacological errors when their are all ready two many other issues in the world twoday too concentrate on. Just try being quite and let buy gones be buy gones.

Sorry, just having a bit of fun. These types of errors drive me nuts, too, but I understand that written English is not everyone's forte.

LOL! Okay, that was worth the price of admission!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeanvaljean
Well, it's a good thing you didn't come across that poster who, in full view of everyone, wrote this:
For all intent and porpoise
and then went on with his post, as if it was really spelled that way.
I shudder to think of your reaction to such an injury to the English language.

Me? I LOL'ed.

That there is funny as heck. Did someone actually write that? LOL!!! Well, at least the porpoises have some say in things

edit on 7-12-2010 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
My boyfriend once told me that he "can't stand un-literate people."

I didn't bother to correct him.

Um, that brings to mind a Julie Brown song talking about the guys she likes - "I like 'em BIG and stupid" - just having fun here, no offense intended : )

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Guys, I'm sure not holding myself up as a paradime (badda boom!) I just mean it wouldn't hurt some folks to get the basics down on usage, you know?

BTW, Thanks graceunderpressure for the fun comments!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
'zactly: My pet peeves: "Marshal law" Get your rifles patriots there bringin in marshal law. Well buford you go on ahead maybe I'll sit this one out...
How can anyone believe or follow someone with a 6th grade command of the language????

i.e.
Martial : having to do with the military:
"Martial" music; "Martial arts; courts martial: MarshallDilllon never declared martial law comprende?

your you're

"You're": a contraction of "you are". Your : implies ownership you must've lost "your" dictionary

Twenty years ago we had a local election for Sheriff, my love and I campaigned for a man with the last name of Marshal - so the slogan was "Declare Marshal Law"

Bad idea.

There were a ton of idiots writing in to the local paper upset that Martial Law would be instigated if Marshal won, including some local elected officials. No wonder the US is in sad shape today.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join