It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 years in prison for drinking water!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Could not find any English articles about this story so here's a blog...

RationalSkeptisism

Spiegel.de

Apparently 2 Christian construction workers were arrested for drinking water during the month of Ramadan, in Algiers, last August. Two men 34 and 37 years old were arrested in the village Ain el Hamam. According to the counsel for prosecution they damaged state religion by violating the laws of Ramadan...

Wow.... Is that like throwing people in prison for not celebrating Christmas??

Peace

edit on 23-9-2010 by operation mindcrime because: grammar

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

While I don't necessarily agree with the situation as it may have occurred, I have to say that as a person who has lived in half a dozen countries and also currently resides outside my home nation there is a simple motto to live by.

"There country there rules."

Since most countries carry an ignorance is no excuse policy to infractions of the law it would behoove the individual to be well aware of the rules before casually embarking on their journey.

My two cents, unless this is another Muslim bashing article or religion bashing article casually disguised as mere sensationalism.

edit on 23-9-2010 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Apparently 2 Christian construction workers were arrested for drinking water during the month of Ramadan, in Algiers, last August.

This does not make sense to me.

I lived with Muslim firefighters in Bahrain for nearly a year. They could drink water during the day during Ramadan. Other than this, I don't know what to say.

ovis aries,
ET

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
What do you expect from spiegel, where holocaust denial gets you prison and cartoonists that make fun of mohammed get awards from prime ministers. This is more anti-muslim propaganda being thrown all over the internet, and dumb people just fall for it.

netanyahu is right. america is easily controlled.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by American_Soviets
What do you expect from spiegel, where holocaust denial gets you prison and cartoonists that make fun of mohammed get awards from prime ministers.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Really could not find any other sources to confirm the story but then again I could not find any information to discredit this story....

This is more anti-muslim propaganda being thrown all over the internet, and dumb people just fall for it.

Dumb people assume. Intelligent people look for both sides of a story...

netanyahu is right. america is easily controlled.

I am not from America, the article is not from America.....uhhh..what was your point again??

Peace

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

E.T.,

Apparently it is up for discussion but as a rule I believe you are not allowed to eat or drink anything between dusk and dawn.

Muslim Farmhands Can Drink Water During Ramadan, Imam Says

Peace

edit on 23-9-2010 by operation mindcrime because: grammar

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
To be honest, this smells a bit ratish to me. I have spent many months in Muslim countries, including during Ramadam (Spelling). Non-Muslims were not restricted by the laws of the festival and were allowed to drink and eat, as long as it was carried out in a discreet manner.

Perhaps these two fellows were taunting the locals, which would have been regarded as vulgar.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Yeah but from what I'm understanding, even locals are protesting against this ruling by the court.

with hundreds of people protesting outside the courtroom

Algerian Christians under trial for breaking Ramzan fast

Only this article says they were eating....!?! Conflicting stories......what fun!!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Ah, eating. That I can understand. They tend to get very upset if people eat, in front of the locals, during daylight hours. They consider it an insult.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Some places are pretty strict on Ramadan. Religious rules are more important than the law sometimes.

Of course it's all relative isn't it.

Christians bad/ Muslims good.

When in Rome/ Oh god the intolerance!

It goes on and on.

If people want to live by their own rules then they should stay at home in my opinion. Of course I also am of the opinion that people that come to my home should follow my rules so I guess I'm evil and intolerant too.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
If people want to live by their own rules then they should stay at home in my opinion.

Well the article says "Two Algerian men".... It says they are Christian but not that they are foreigners. Algerians can be Christian, right?? So were should they have stayed in this case??

Of course I also am of the opinion that people that come to my home should follow my rules so I guess I'm evil and intolerant too.

I believe the rules of Ramadam (???) are for Muslim people only. Generally they do not care about non-Muslims eating and drinking during the day. The do appreciate it when it is done discretely. If you feel that you should lock me in your basement if I visit your house and fart in your living room because you are offended by it, then yes, you are an evil and intolerant person....

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I love how you Islamic apologists like to blame the victims. Wake up to the truth. This is a sick evil religion and it's destroying your country! Since Muslims love to rape non-muslim women, as is happening all over europe, will you blame the victims there too? Maybe they dressed too provocatively?

Yes let's do anything we can to be good multi-culturalists and praise our third world friends who want to kill us. The stupidity and hypocrisy of the left is astounding. White christian males are trying to get into your bedroom and stop you from sodomizing each other as is your Gaia given right! Stop those evil christians!

But Sharia law is goooood, because it comes from a third world mud culture, which must be better than western civilization by default.

Truly you deserve your demise.

edit on 24-9-2010 by SevenThunders because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I've just heard some horror stories from Dubai, and it seems that the rich Muslim countries contract workers from poorer countries, mainly Bangladesh and Pakistan. Perhaps most, but not all are also Muslim, but there may be other minorities amongst them.
In any case, these workers are recruited with wonderful promises and often put themslves into debt to pay the agencies.
Once in Dubai their passports are confiscated and they earn hand-to-mouth wages or are virtual slave labour.
They work long hours in up to 50 degrees heat and live in crowded compounds, with no comforts.
They are only flown home (sometimes without any pay) when they fall ill, because they receive no medical benefits.
So we might imagine Western expats who work for high wages and are informed on the customs, but such workers could often be totally bewildered people who are little more than slaves.
www.blackbookmag.com...

edit on 24-9-2010 by halfoldman because: link on slavery in Dubai added

new topics

top topics

join