It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battered Women of Recession. Shocking!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It seems when times are tough, instead of people being at their best, they can be at their worst.

Battered Women of Recession

In a September 2009 address on the struggling world economy, U.N. Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro cited a U.N. survey that found a 75 percent increase in demand for services at American shelters for battered women in 2008 over 2007 levels.

In 2007, the shelter provided 73,000 “bed nights” for women and their children, says Marlene Richter, Shade Tree’s executive director. In 2008 the tally jumped to 98,000 bed nights. Last year it was more than 100,000. And the numbers have not gone down this year, she says.

These statistics seem old, but the article was published just this past July, 19th.

This recession isn't going away anytime soon, and this is just something that I would share, because while job statistics are outrageous, so are some of the affects of it that people haven't considered.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I don't doubt the instances are on the rise and that is unfortunate. I would guess that the increase in female against male abuse has increased at an even greater rate.

Domestic abuse against men is an extremely under reported thing and with men, who are in many cases the only wage earner in households being unable to provide for their families, I would guess that abuse of that nature is on the rise.

Child abuse as well as parents get frustrated by the cost of their kids.

Face it - in times of economic difficulty, stress goes up and abuse follows. What troubles me about the source in the OP is that it, like so many other reports on domestic abuse target the issue on female abuse, almost as if other forms of it don't exist or are not as important.

There is something we can all do here. The warning signs of difficult family situations are visible. Look for them. If neighbors, friends, co-workers are acting a bit unusual take a bit of time to talk with them. Take them out for coffee, invite them over, go watch a game, anything. Just getting someone to know that they have an ally during these times can make the differrence. If you see someone who you think needs to blow off a bit of steam, take a step and see if you can't help them do that. It can make a big difference in the lives of a family.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Well, if you can't kick the president or the bank, then kick the dog, if you don't have a dog, have a few drinks at the bar, if everyone at the bar is bigger than you, then come home and beat on the wife a little.

I think it is common knowledge that all types of violence go up during hard times. Just wait until this Christmas season when robberies and suicides are already at their seasonal highs, and this economy weighs even more heavily on everyone!!

I am not making light of the situation, I believe the statistic, and it is a sad thing. My wife pointed out to me a statistic that the most dangerous place in the world for a pregnant women is at home with the one she loves!
That is a sad, sad thing!

On another note, I don't like the fact that the UN is polling American shelters. We don't need their interference, they can concentrate on Somalia and Sudan. We have a government already.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

The gift of bringing life into the world turns out to be a curse for the vast majority of women on this planet.

History is full of assaults on women...and the assailants share equally Gods approval of it.

At least in the West we have shelters. How would you like to be the property of the Taliban or any other mindset that strips us of any value and uses our own nature against us?

When rough times hit we are the first casualties.

S&F.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

There is something we can all do here. The warning signs of difficult family situations are visible. Look for them. If neighbors, friends, co-workers are acting a bit unusual take a bit of time to talk with them. Take them out for coffee, invite them over, go watch a game, anything. Just getting someone to know that they have an ally during these times can make the differrence. If you see someone who you think needs to blow off a bit of steam, take a step and see if you can't help them do that. It can make a big difference in the lives of a family.

Thanks for pointing this out. It's very important to note, that sometimes just paying attention, and listening to somebody might help to diffuse a bad situation.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

The gift of bringing life into the world turns out to be a curse for the vast majority of women on this planet.

History is full of assaults on women...and the assailants share equally Gods approval of it.

At least in the West we have shelters. How would you like to be the property of the Taliban or any other mindset that strips us of any value and uses our own nature against us?

S&F.

This article is sucn a crock.

I am not condoning assults on women. Do not misunderstand me here.
However I know something which is never mentioned when teaching and preaching the assault/Victim propaganda line.

Most assaults in this nation are males on males..not male on females.

Yet hardly anything is said about the male on male violence. The males are for all purposes unheard...expendable and disposable.

Only male on female violence is spoken about in negative tones.

How many males are at shelters of late? Is anyone interested in these numbers..or are the female shelters some kind of holy ground??

History is mostly full of assaults on men..not women. Just check out any newspaper or news story on the radio and television.

Males have no stake in this whatsoever??? Males never go out and take Risk in the business of raising children..ever..often at great risk to themselves...including assault.

I just love such victimization posts. They are so one way in their provincialness.

Discuss this with Mayor Bloomburg and the President. They are facillitating this with the New York Mosque. This is just the opening step to Sharia Law here in the United States. The Muslim nations are buying up western governments state, local, and federal just like they have done in the UK. Buckle up.

We are going to have the best government Muslim monies can buy. Then the women of America might figure out how good they had it. But I doubt it.

More victimization philosophy to default through unquestioned and unchallanged.

After all..rough times only happen to women ..never men.

Hence ....what a crock this OP is. But it is textbook politics and public education..ie ...a television education. Mostly emotions..no real thinking going on here.

Do I need to take a DNA and lie detector test on this one??

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

join