It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Advice You've Been Given

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xsheep

Good stuff xsheep, thanks for the reply!

spec

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Hey simone, thanks for comments.
I like that, close one chapter to begin another.

spec

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
My dad who is a huge paranoid pot-head always told me "the best way to stay alive is by keeping your mouth shut". I've found the less I gossip the better off everyone is.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
A deal's not a deal unless you need a deal .

The house always wins in the end .

Those who can , do . Those who can't , teach .

He who knows the secret , does not speak . He who speaks , does not know the secret .

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
My Grandfather was a wealth of information but there were two things he told me that stuck with me the most.

"Measure twice, cut once."

"Hope for the best but think for the worse."

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is a wonderfully insightful thread, thanks to you OP. There are many sayings here I am familiar with as well as a couple of new ones, but each one is a pearl of wisdom. If only more people could live by these, wow, what a world we would have. My favorite, as I had mentioned in my intro, is the Golden Rule - treat others the way you would like to be treated. That gem was instilled by my mother, and I have tried to do the same with my children. I think it sunk in

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pintobean

Ahhh yes, ye ole "loose lips sinks ships!" Good advice any many cases, not just the shady one's either, but also any trust issues too.
Thanks for the reply,
spec
reply to post by ReRun

Thank you ReRun

Hey have seen Roger around anywhere?

reply to post by janon

Simple and good advice, much thanks janon! Always be certain before you cut, yes

reply to post by sunsetatdawn

Thanks for the support sunsetatdawn! Guess that's why they call it the "golden rule," advice for a good foundation, both for the individual and the whole.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
'failing to prepare is preparing to fail'

'theres a reason you have 2 ears and 1 mouth, listen more, talk less.'

Ex

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
A Friend once told me:
" When the chips are down, go for yourself, because noone is going to do it for you!"

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

Nice, thank you!

reply to post by Ex

True true Ex, reminds me of the adage," we come into this world and exit it alone, so we have to depend on ourselves first.

Peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Heard these recently:

In order to get to the other shore, we have to lose sight of this one sometimes.

Some people talk just to say something, and others talk when they have something to say.

peace

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
There are two pieces of advice/sayings that had a lot of effect on my life personally.

In Jr High, my principal once told me" Negative attention is better than no attention at all", at the time I did not understand it, I do now looking back.

And the other was "It is not what happens to you, but how you react to it that counts"

I don't remember who told me that, and they probably got it from a book somewhere, but it has been the most helpful piece of advice I have ever been given.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Good advice for sure Darkblade. So often how we process what we are exposed to shapes the outcome, for better or worse, but when we have some control over our own reaction, we are empowered to guide our emotions instead of the other way around.

peace

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Advice from an officer on success in the military:

"You, and only you, are responsible for your success or failure in the military. Your superiors only know about you what you sell to them. So sell yourself to your superiors. Be selfish, brag about yourself, do everything in your power to make yourself look the best, because the more you do this the more your superiors will think you care about succeeding, and if they think you care, they will see you as a good officer."

We often like to see ourselves as selfless, honorable people, but you have to look at the world realistically and see that you have to be selfish and conceited in order to be put in a position to do good in this world. When it comes time for your promotion or next assignment, if you don't glorify yourself you won't go anywhere.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Wang Tang because: forgot a line of the quote

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join