It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive waste dumped in our oceans!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Hope this hasn’t been posted already. (Actually I hope it HAS been posted, as I think people should know what’s happening to our oceans.) I did a search and found threads on mustard gas, and trash being dumped, but not nuclear waste.

GREENPEACE’S
CAMPAIGN AGAINST
OCEAN DUMPING OF
RADIOACTIVE WASTE
1978-1998
www.greenpeace.org...

“Every year millions of liters of radioactive waste are being routinely pumped into the sea
from nuclear reprocessing plants. Each year, the total amount of radioactivity discharged
into the environment from Europe’s giant reprocessing plants at Sellafield, in the United
Kingdom, and La Hague, in France, exceeds that dumped in many of the world’s 80
known ocean dump sites.
National governments, which finally recognized the danger of dumping radioactive waste
into the sea from ships, continue to allow the same waste to be pumped directly into the
ocean. This practice poses a health risk to millions of European citizens and a threat to
the environment. It must be stopped.
Discharges of radioactive waste into the north-east Atlantic are regulated by the OSPAR
Commission which consists of: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland,
Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland,
the United Kingdom, and the European Union.”

Also found this…….. Russian Toxic Dumping in the Arctic Sea

www1.american.edu...

Dumping of highly radioactive wastes at sea has been banned
worldwide for more than three decades, still it has been revealed
that Russia (the former Soviet Union) has been dumping highly
radioactive materials in the Arctic Sea (more precisely the Barents
Kara Seas) since the late 1950s. This act has international
implications, especially in view of Russia's relations to the
Scandinavian countries (in particular Norway), as rich fishing
grounds could be threatened. The Norwegian Prime Minister said the
dumping represents a "security risk to people and to the natural
biology of northern waters" , and the former Minister of Foreign
Affairs Johan Jorgen Holst stated that Russian pollution was "the
biggest security problem Norway faces." Today scientists are
trying to assess what possible damage the dumping might have done
to the fragile environment of the Arctic region.

And this dump off the west coast of USA
Farallon Island Radioactive Waste Dump walrus.wr.usgs.gov...

More than 47,800 drums and other containers of low-level radioactive waste were dumped onto the ocean floor west of San Francisco between 1946 and 1970; many of these are in the Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary.

Then there is Hanford! It is a huge mess…and I didn’t know this but it has the potential to explode as well.
Radioactive Waste Management
www.bookrags.com...

Radioactive waste from one of the first nuclear bomb plants is so volatile that the clean-up problems have stymied the experts. The plant at the DOE's Hanford Nuclear Reservation near Richland, Washington, is the nation's largest repository of nuclear waste. There, 177 tanks contain more than 57 million gal (26 million l) of radioactive waste and toxic chemicals, byproducts of plutonium production for nuclear weapons. The DOE and Westinghouse Corporation (the contractor in charge of Hanford's clean-up) are still not sure exactly what mixture of chemicals and radioactive waste each tank contains, but a video taken inside one tank shows the liquid bubbling and roiling from chemical and nuclear reactions. Corrosive, highly radioactive liquids have eaten through Hanford's storage tanks and are being removed to computer-monitored, carbon-steel storage tanks. The cleanup at Hanford could cost as much as $57 billion. The only other country known to have had a waste problem as large as the one at Hanford is the former Soviet Union, where a nuclear waste dump exploded in the nuclear complex at Chelyabinsk in 1957, contaminating thousands of square miles of land.
Both the Savannah River site and the Hanford site pose the risk of the kind of massive nuclear waste explosion that occurred at Chelyabinsk
Ok Ill stop for now. This could go on forever. Just do a few searches, and you will find we have dumped this waste all over our oceans. Very sad state of affairs………….

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by meteoritics

Excellent thread S+F

I was aware of the Russians dumping radioactive waste into the Barents... I also remember hearing about them scuttling nuclear powered vessels without decontaminating them...

However, i was NOT aware of Sellafield dumping waste!! A horrifying thought for me as an Englishman (when i think about all the fish i eat)

I guess our governments just feed us the information that works for them...

Truly disgusting... without healthy oceans you cannot have a healthy planet.

Thanks for a great thread

Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

It amazes me all the people who are freaking out about the gusher in the gulf, but don’t seem to give a hoot about nuclear waste being pumped and dumped all over the place.

The gulf gusher sucks for sure, however the dispersant is probably worse than the oil. If it was just oil it would clean its self up in time.

If they weren’t using dispersant it could be skimmed off the top much easier as well. What do you think the fish would want?? Dispersant or no dispersant?

Our Radiation dumps could have untold implications for many thousands of years.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Its like them spraying tobacco with radioactive waste, anyone ever hear of this?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

I had not heard this. What will they think of next?

Radioactive tobacco
www.acsa2000.net...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

hi muckster
it depends on what you class as waste. in the case of sellafield and the likes around the uk, an amount of cooling water to which the reactor is surrounded is discharged into the sea (similar to nuclear boats with cooling system closed loop ). we have the governments assurances that this is low level. recently our government sold off the big wedge of the uk nuclear industry to a foreign concern except for the decomissioning/waste element which will continue to be paid for by us all. the majority of other waste material is apparently held in a repository at drigg and rumour has it we are storing other countries waste as well. the long term liabilities are going to be enormous.
regards fakedirt

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I am saddened, but I am not surprised. For years any number of industries have used the ocean to dump many things not healthy for humans or marine and sea life.

While much attention is placed on the dumping and the corruption that goes into that process. Too often people loose sight of where the pollution is being produced.

It is this aspect of information that we, the general public do not readily know or receive much information about. All that toxic waste has to be coming from somewhere and while there are a multitude of sources for radioactive waste, medical waste, industrial, scientific, etc.etc. and on and on it all adds up to a big mess especially if there are no laws or if the laws are legislated to protect big corporations like we are seeing with the BP disaster.

I learned a long time ago when dinosaurs roamed the Earth that "B.S. rolls down hill", you just have to never forget that there is a "COW" up there producing that crap.

Anyway, if government spent half as much time doing what we pay them to do, we as a nation would not be hearing about these types of preventable abuses. Only isolated cases would exist. Today we are plagued with waste abuse and as usual the emphasis is on the disposal, when we should pay as much if not more attention to the production sources of these toxic waste products.

Who produces it? In what quantities? What laws can be circumvented and what politicians can be corrupted? When it all comes down to it, elected representatives have let us down because we trusted them to do what was in our best interests even after we knew that they were in it for themselves.

We can see that no accountability and blatant open criminality is the norm or the rule by which government and corporations conduct themselves with respect to the citizens that elect them and to those who purchase the products such corporations sell with all the "Glam" fanfare that big media can hypnotically provide the sleeping masses of America.

Just look at the BP disaster and we can see both the political and corporate examples of failure for why America is in the midst of being destroyed by those with no allegiance or belief in anything except greed and power.

Their actions condemn the rest of us and our families with preventable cancers, leukemia, birth defects and multitude of toxic and death inducing health issues. It will be the same two corrupt groups that are in charge of fixing it and since they created it, to think that they will do anything truthful is insanity.

It is that criminal symbiotic relationship that needs to be legislated into restriction, because we have all seen what it has brought us.

We deserve better, but until we put a meaningful focus on the cause of waste that ends up being dumped in the oceans, we are dealing with end result and not with its cause. Just a thought but both sides of the coin need to be looked at if we ever hope to remove or fix the problem. Just my opinion, didn't mean to get all "preachy."

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by meteoritics

However, i was NOT aware of Sellafield dumping waste!! A horrifying thought for me as an Englishman (when i think about all the fish i eat)

In itself, the technetium discharges do not represent a significant radiological hazard,[39] and recent studies have noted "...that in the most recently reported dose estimates for the most exposed Sellafield group of seafood consumers (FSA/SEPA 2000), the contributions from Technetium-99 and actinide nuclides from Sellafield (

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

I was recently shocked on a visit to beautiful Padre Island seashore statepark to read a sign prior to entering the beach to be aware of the possibility of medical waste including syringes in the water and washed on to the sand!!!
What an eye opener that was!

top topics

join