It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor: I will veto 6,900 added items to the budget

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

www.wktv.com...
www.wktv.com...

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP/WKTV) - Governor David Paterson says he is ending negotiations with the Legislature over the 6,900 vetoes he promises to make on every addition and pork-barrel grant in the Legislature's budget passed Monday.

www.wktv.com...

This is getting rediculous
When will they just kick this guy Paterson and put Spitzer back in his chair were he belong's.At least he knew how to run NY State.
We would have never been in this situation if he was still the Governor.
What is everyone elses take on this issue?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The United States is broke. Unless I am missing something, legislature is ADDING items to the budget, which would mean spending more money. And the governor says thats not a good idea and is going to veto that. I believe that should be a good thing for reducing government spending unless I'm missing something on this.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Ugh, I can't believe I'm saying this, but:

I...agree (sigh) with (really?) Patterson.

Broke is broke and doesn't leave room for 6,900 additions to the budget.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Nice to see someone taking a stand against pork. Never thought it would be NY, wonder if CA will be next.

Im not so shocked that someone, anyone woke up to start curtailing pet projects, my amazement is the sheer volume. Almost 7000 items added to a budget? How many reps are in the state body of NY? How much waste do you really need to ensure you can get re-elected in your district. There is more to representing people than throwing money around. Politicians had better figure that out before our states all go the way of CA.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Though not from NY, I agree with him, too.

Either he vetoes the pork barrel spending, or they lay off the government employees that would be spending it. Perhaps even both!

Wouldn't you love to see NY with no police? That's what will happen if they spend their way to oblivion.

Either way, win win for NY.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
yea that's about right

we're in a recession and the lawmakers
want to add 6,900 more items to the budget.
Now that's common sense !!!!

/sarcasm off

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think this is more of a bribery/blackmail thing really, ...

Governor: I will veto 6,900 added items to the budget

The Democrat said Tuesday that after his vetoes are complete, legislative leaders will have to come to him with solid counter proposals for his policy goals that lawmakers rejected in the budget.

Those goals include a local property tax cap, a contingency fund in case $1 billion in Medicaid funding is lost, and an empowerment plan to allow public universities to set their own tuition.

Since they rejected HIS proposals in the states budget, he's now rejected THEIR pork!

Doesn't really read to me like he's actually trying to cut down on "pork", but to get his way.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

join