It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Add this to your OOPART list!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

"In the late Iron Age glass was the most common material for making pearls, and therefore glass pearls are often found in men's and women's graves from this period... The discovery of the seven pearls made us assume that it was a woman's grave we investigated," Hemdorff says.

"But then we suddenly found a stone axe. It was in the same layer of soil as some of the pearls. The axe is from the Stone Age and more than a thousand years older than the pearls! It is a so-called greenstone axe. All the other indicators suggested that the cairn was from the Iron Age and belonged to a buried woman. So why was there an old axe from the Stone Age in the grave?," the archaeologist asks.

Although I'm not a huge believer in OOPART, I feel like this is odd, but probably added during the iron age. Maybe she found the hand axe and really liked it? Maybe someone in her family had found it years ago and passed it down a few generations?

Anyway, I think the story is really neat. Check it out.

SOURCE: www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
If it was the other way round - it could have been termed as an oddity or as you say an OOPART.

Tell me - which age came first - The Stone Age or The Iron Age?
Humans graduate from the stone age to the iron age. They might have remnants of their tools from their stone age times right into the Iron Age.

Since the Stone Axe was found in a tomb, it can be inferred that as an item from a previous age, it might have had some sort of ritualistic value.

Now, if a Iron Age Axe was found in a Stone Age Tomb/Burial, that would have been interesting, an oddity, something that sounds fishy.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
It's a bit odd, yes, but definitely explainable, and no stranger than if, say, I were buried with an antique that I liked. It would look strange if someone exhumed me centuries from now and saw the antique, but it wouldn't be a historical issue in the same way that, for instance, a laptop computer buried with someone from the middle ages would be.

join