It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bhopal gas leak convictions not enough, say campaigners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Bhopal gas leak convictions not enough, say campaigners

news.bbc.co.uk

Convictions over a gas plant leak that killed thousands of people in 1984 in the Indian city of Bhopal have been heavily criticised by campaigners.

Amnesty International described the two-year sentences for eight people as "too little, too late".

The convictions are the first since the disaster at the Union Carbide plant - the world's worst industrial accident.

The eight Indians, all former plant employees, were convicted of "death by negligence".

One was convicted posthumously.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.bhopal.com
www.bhopal.org
www.reuters.com

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is a terrible tragedy with a long lasting, persistent and sad legacy. There are few industrial tragedies which have caused such mayhem as this event, with several thousand people killed and many thousands still suffering.

Are the sentences for the eight Indian employees long enough and more importantly, should Mr Obama demand the full weight of the law be levelled at the US executives who have avoided justice. After all, Mr Obama is keen to pursue BP who has been involved in an industrial accident, whose consequences pale into insignificance compared to Union Carbide!

I think the sentences are appropriate, but think the US executives should be tried, if not to demonstrate fairness and set a principle of justice.

Regards

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

A 2 year sentence is appropriate for the deaths of thousands, physical deformations of many and yet to be born???

The creeps have influenced the Judiciary, otherwise for a disaster of such a big magnitude, the persons responsible would have got life for sure!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

The Indian management were working in a chemical plant controlled by executives who have not been tried. I think the Indians are scapegoats. Two years is enough considering they have spend two and a hald decades facing justice and are all very, very old.

My point is that the people who ran the company and are therfore really responsibile have escaped justice.

Regards

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I think in accordance with both UK and USA law there could be a case for Corporate Manslaughter, but I'm no lawyer.

Regardless, Union Carbide had, and still have, a moral duty to do more for the victims, their families and the city as a whole.

top topics

join