It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red shirts' military leader dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Red shirts' military leader dies

english.aljazeera.net

The chief military strategist of Thailand's anti-government protest movement has died.

Major-General Khattiya Sawasdipol, better known as Seh Daeng or "commander red", was accused by the government of being a renegade soldier and creating a paramilitary force for the so-called red shirt protesters.

His death, reported on Monday by the Vajira hospital in Bangkok where he was being treated, came after he was shot in the head - reportedly by a sniper - while talking to journalists inside the perimeter of the protest zone on Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-5-2010 by broahes]

[edit on 17-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I'm wondering if this will lead to a much larger, and more violent movement than we have already seen, or if it will quell some of the protests.

Given the history of the people, I'm afraid this is only going to cause a surge in violence there, and a heavier hand from the masters.

These people have shown the world, in my opinion, what it takes to stand up against tyranny. We should all watch and learn. Revolution is not pretty, nor is it easy. It is bloody on both sides.
Thoughts?

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
I'm wondering if this will lead to a much larger, and more violent movement than we have already seen, or if it will quell some of the protests.

I really question the origin of this colour revolution. It seems a lot like the one in Iran. Or the one in Pakistan. Except you've got Major-General Khattiya Sawasdipol taking the place of Neda or Benazir Bhutto. Red shirts instead of Green.

I think there is going to be an escalation of violence and more incidents like this on many levels as the major powers vie for influence over this country.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Don't worry in the next episode they will get more 'red shirts' available. Kind of like how Captain Kirk did.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You should know this conflict is not a 'real' the people-against-authoreties conflict. It is a setup created by the former PM Thaksin Shinewartra. The protesters may be poor people in need of help, but they are not only seduced by the former PM, they are also paid by him, at present 500 baht a day to protest. He himself sits secure in the outlaw state of Montenegro and pulls the strings. Rumours will also know that he have bought important people of the Thai elite, most remarkable, the queen and the crownprince.

I stay in Thailand, so I know these things, but the nature of them are not to be verified by any news repports --because in Thailand such things are a grave offence of lese majestic -- could simply cost your life.

But that the protesters are paid is a fact. Nothing happens "by it self" --least of all in this country. It only happens because someone pays.

...and please don't talk about "These people have shown the world, in my opinion, what it takes to stand up against tyranny." Thailand is no star-example of Democracy, but the present administration are leagues away from the former one Thaksin's. And yes, there you could talk about "tyranny." No, the tyrans are big interests, and the protesters are puppet on strings.

BTW, whatch what will happen next. The Millitary issued a decree this Noon, giving free departure to whomever would want to leave. The reminders inside the fortified camps would be seen as terrorists. So I'm afraid this night something very bad are gonna happen.

I'm sorry I forgot how to quote properly.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
An editorial from todays Bangkok Post

Manipulator wants deaths: CRES
Published: 17/05/2010 at 03:01 PM
Online news: Local News

The terrorists and their manipulator abroad want to create violence and cause as many losses of lives as possible on the people to put blame on the government so that they can file legal cases with international organisations, Prime Minister's Office Minister Sathit Wongnongtoey said in a statement on Monday.

He was apparently referring to leaders of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Mr Sathit said these people wanted to see the highest possible death toll on the people.

This conclusion derived from the fact that all of the clashes took place elsewhere away from the rally site when government forces were attacked from behind, causing losses to have been inflicted on innocent people outside the main rally ground, he said.

"From intelligence reports, the goal of these terrorists and their manipulator is to see the highest possible losses of lives. They have hired foreign lawyers and brought them into the country so that they can see the damage they have caused with an intention to file lawsuits with international organisations abroad and to put blame on the present administration," Mr Sathit said.

The minister said high-risk people in this situation are local and foreign news reporters, health workers, and innocent people living in the areas where clashes are taking place.

Meanwhile, Thaksin on Monday issued a statement calling for a sincere and genuine dialogue between the parties in conflict and for the United Nations to intervene.

The statement was released by Amsterdam & Peroff, a public relations firm hired by Thaksin.

The following is the text of his statement:

"I stand with my countrymen in this terrible hour in our history. The pictures that I have seen go beyond any nightmares that could have been envisaged. I have no choice but to state resolutely the need for all sides to step back from this terrible abyss and seek to begin a new, genuine and sincere dialogue between the parties.

"The present action of the government dishonour our history and will forever weaken our institutions and democracy. How can life be revered when the government uses its live bullets against innocent non-violent protesters and civilians, many of them women and children.

"I call for the United Nations to immediately engage to act as facilitator for this negotiation. That organization should not allow itself to be silenced by a prime minister who failed to understand that a right to life is a core universal value that unites us all as one."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

top topics

join