It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is SENSATIONAL!! PLEASE read!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hi, I'm here to discuss an ongoing trend that i have noticed on ats, especially recently. It seems like the topics with most indepth information do not get any attention because the title is not "sensational" enough for most atsers. For example, there was a thread called "all unamerican people need to leave america"
this poster has figured out that trend, and brought his message to the public via sensational headline. Most people going to that thread were mad at the title but agreed to the message, because it was a good message. The thread received alot of attention. Now, i bet you if the poster didnt use such sensational and controversial title he wouldnt get past 2 pages of posts. Sometimes its the opposite, a sensational title with an irrelevant message, same results, Stars and flags. There are many other examples, but im sure yall know what im talking about. So, my question is this: Is that what ATS has become? chasing the most sensational headline? It's like the message doesnt matter, anything gets on the front page as long as the title is sensational and or controversial. Like that thread titled "I implore you not to read this"

do yall feel what im saying ATS?

I might be wrong though. i guess we'll see.
Edit.
There not ALL caps

[edit on 7-5-2010 by ponyboyats]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Your OP just desribed Newspaper Journalism.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I was the one who made the thread you're referencing and as I said in that thread, I used that title very specifically for a reason.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
As someone who is new here, there is a lot going on. Sensational topic titles, whether accurate or not, get me clicking on them more often. More often than not the topic itself is less than enthralling, but the title does it's job well.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The Terms & Conditions for posting on ATS are pretty sensational too, you should read them as well.

Somewhere in there it clearly states that you're not supposed to make a thread with your title in ALL CAPS.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Isn't that Writing 101? Attention grabbing title - it is not specific to ATS or Journalism it is an essential and noted and Academically accepted part of writing.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ponyboyats

I know what you mean because i don't get responded to a lot because I tend to try to be as rational and cool headed as possible. it's only when I loose my cool that someone bothers to respond to me. People only want drama.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yes, I'm taking college classes right now and one of the main things to remember when writing a paper is to use a title that will grab someone's attention. It's part of APA guidelines.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I must agree with other posters .

Your title grabbed my attention quickly , so I read your thread . Where is the harm in that ?

I have used several titles that I have been ridiculed for , but chances are that if the title had been more mundane , I would not have received any response from those posters at all .

I have even stated in some of my threads that the title was a ploy to get your attention .

Face it , it is good marketing . There is nothing wrong with that . It sells .

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Well not all of us r journalists on ats, some just wana spread important message. All I'm saying give those non sensational titles a chance

link   
I can see what you are saying, but it is also true that is only human nature for people to go and defend themselves when they feel something is attacking them personally. Not only that but from what I can see from the time I have been here it is a pretty sensational site so you have to expect it. Not saying that it is right but it is going to happen when you are talking about subjects that bring out a lot of emotion in people. You will always have people wanting to exploit situations in anything you do, sometimes you just have to roll with it.

link   
I will refer this over to Admiral Ackbar...

(click to open player in new window)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I agree with everyone else. I click on the threads that have a title that interests me. I do wish that there was a preview of the thread below the title like on many other forums which would give me a little insight in to the topic. I wouldn't have clicked on this thread if that were the case.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Lol - I agree to the extent that thread content should be considered on it's merit - and I agree that misleading titles are really annoying, but sensational (i.e. attention grabbing) titles that are not misleading are standard accepted writing principles. I suppose some of us (me, included) could up the thread titling game a bit, if it really became bothersome.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Wow guys. Thanks 4 proving my point I striously did not expect such a turnout in such a short time. Ilearned something 2day. next thread i post that has important information im going to make sure my title is off the wall crazy

[edit on 7-5-2010 by ponyboyats]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I agree that a lot of topics that are of some pressing importance receive an inordinate amount of attention. However, everyone has their tastes, level of interest, scope of interest, and factions which they hold important. I'm disappointed that people don't pay more attention to nanotech, nwo politics, Bill S 510, Bill C-6 and so on, but it's not everyones cup of tea I've learned to accept. I also take into account that these qualify as "gloom and doom" threads for some, even though they are worth following, and many others who've been around have already looked into issues that we newer members have had to discuss.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

i guess mine was misleading and annoying. haha!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

'tis okay - I starred and flagged out of pity!

joking...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
you know what else gets me? that some people can rant on in a wrong forum about nothing in particular without being placed on bts, but some topics get thrown straight into the bts garbage bin. thats hypocricy of moderators around here. i say all or nothing, and there are TONS of threads on ats that belong on bts. also, lotsa ats relevant threads on bts.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I understand what you are saying but that is how it is everywhere. I have noticed that on any forum I belong to the most sensationalized title gets all the attention. I don't really pay attention to those titles personally because IMO they are usually not very interesting. I like the simple ones like Operation Paper Clip
but that is just me.

top topics

join