It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about off topic and T & C posts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I see something when people are nabbed for these types of things that sort of bothers me.

The original offending or off topic post might be removed, but if another member copies it in one of their posts, it still remains.

Why is that?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I imagine it's because there's a lot of posts and just so many moderators and they sometimes miss the replies. My understanding is that you are encouraged to alert the post should you notice it before they do.

[edit on 21 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yeah, quoting will still show the original offensive material, most mods will catch them eventually, but it's still good to alert those.

They will generally just edit the post to remove the offensive material and leave the replier's actual post alone.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Understandable, but my feeling is that if such a post gets stars, which they often do, sadly, then there are either going to be quoted posts with the bad one in it further on, ususally the next couple or so. It doesn't take that much time to read the next few!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Well, the mod that took the action might have logged off by then or has had their attention diverted elsewhere ... there's a lot going on on a daily basis.

Usually if I have quoted a post that ends up being actioned I will go back and edit the quote out of courtesy as it seems the right thing to do.

But just alert it ... that's what they get paid the big bucks for.

[edit on 21 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I can only imagine the U2U botton burning non stop for a Mod! Something to cringe about!

I guess is what I expect, but quite not possible is that a post would be erased automatically from further use if it's a violation.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Understandable, but my feeling is that if such a post gets stars, which they often do, sadly, then there are either going to be quoted posts with the bad one in it further on, ususally the next couple or so. It doesn't take that much time to read the next few!

Time is relative. We are volunteer and sometimes life gets in the way of stuff here.
Sometimes we overlook things and so on. That is why there is an alert button and an ATS Complaint / Suggestion form

As SDog said, best thing to do is alert it to the attention of staff.

Thanks

[edit on April 21st 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

It's a shame you have to do double work, and have to go back and remove something more than once.

I guess I am just wondering why there is nothing in place to keep it from being duplicated, once it's already been removed.

Thanks to you, too!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I guess I am just wondering why there is nothing in place to keep it from being duplicated, once it's already been removed.

It can't be duplicated once it's been removed unless someone was in the process of quoting it as the post was being removed.

Peace

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Ok, I just sent an alert for what I am talking about. My point is the extra work for you, and that something offensive can keep on appearing. I am not sure if you will get the alert.

So, you are saying that in the situation you described, the offending post does have the potential of being repeated numerous times?

They don't pay you enough!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Yes, I am aware of what you speak of.

I phonetically spelled the word D*CK (and that isn't duck), followed by "no flag, no star".

I wrote it because the OP scammed everyone in the post just before my questionable one.
I would call his OP trolling.

I did not call him that name,(just phonetically spelled the word) but a subsequent poster called him a 'dumb*ss'. His post was quoted and is still up there.

I got a warning, points for a T&C violation, subsequent poster got 'Off Topic' removal.

I am accepting my lumps here, not complaining, just saying that everyone should be careful and not let their emotions get away with them.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

So, you are saying that in the situation you described, the offending post does have the potential of being repeated numerous times?

Stop confusing me with so many questions.

Peace

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Oh yeah, I forgot to add:

"Just sayin"

top topics

join