It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holograms, the Next Big Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I have noticed lately that in adds there are cgi representations of holograms. The Verizon vs. AT&T maps commercials are an example.

There is even the new one for BBC's new TV show.

I think this may be trying to make it easier for the transition of things like holograms in the future. Holograms seem possible.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Everything old is new again, eh?

Naw, I don't think holograms have a serious future. I think that while the "futurey mistique" of holograms are going to keep them popping up in extant niches of culture and technology (like flying cars have), their utility will be outdated long before the enabling technology and efficiency/utility is to the point where mass adoption becomes feasible. What we're already starting to see, ( very quickly ) gaining mass appeal and traction is augmented reality.

Computers powerful enough to start really making economically useful real time video manipulation have reached the price point, energy efficiency, and portability (both in software and hardware) to slip effortlessly into mass adoption. We're starting to see AR applications for iPod, internet shopping, navigation, video gaming, and even sightseeing virtual tours. Eventually, (and by eventually, I mean just a few years) AR will move from cell phones to designer glasses which project the image augments directly onto the retina. A few years after that, we'll start seeing it in contact lens form. A few years after that... perhaps merging with non-invasive BCI (brain computer interfaces) technology (which is already seeing commercial application) to start bypassing the eyes altogether and create the images via direct stimulation of the visual cortex.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Lets hope

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Mirage- hologram

A relatively cheap hologram .... rather ingenious .

I`d say kids would love it.
link

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I can't wait for the day when the newest addition to a home will be the holodeck...like Star Trek. Download "Mayberry" and go fishing with Andy and Opie... ride with barney to the fillin' station and chat with Goober and Gomer. Yup...

top topics

join