It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. chief in Israel: Stop settlements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

U.N. chief in Israel: Stop settlements

www.msnbc.msn.com

RAMALLAH, West Bank - Israeli settlement building anywhere on occupied land is illegal and must be stopped, U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon said Saturday, after getting a closer look at some of the Israeli enclaves scattered across Palestinian-claimed territories.

From a hilltop observation post on the outskirts of the Palestinian city of Ramallah, the U.N. secretary-general saw the sprawling West Bank settlement of Givat Zeev, home to 11,000 Israelis who live in rows of red-roofed houses. The panorama included Jewish neighborhoods in traditionally Arab east Jerusalem, the Israeli-annexed sector of
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It seems everybody is against Israel in this latest issue of settlement building.

I wonder who they will listen, or if they ever will understand that their actions are ILLEGAL.

It's unfortunate for all those involved that we as a people can't grow up and find a solutions to this very real problem.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'm trying very hard to have an Israel-free year

Israel makes it difficult of course

Because it appears Israel cannot tolerate for one moment to pass on this planet without Israel gaining attention

However, if I were immensely powerful, I know what I'd do with Israel

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

from linked news story:
Nearly half a million Israelis live on war-won land, including some 180,000 in east Jerusalem and nearly 300,000 in the West Bank.

You should have stipulated that posters not respond until at least reading the news story. My thoughts are that ignorance concerning the history and legal status of now-days Israel are intentionally fostered.

The media is perpetuating ignorance by not mentioning background, or even linking to relevant legal documents. Instead of merely quoting Ban, as calling it illegal, they should have linked to the legal document which establishes the illegality. I'll find these links myself since MSM would rather have the ignorant discussing this as an issue of difference of opinion rather than as a legal issue. Hint, UN charter specifically forbids expanding national territory through war conquest. I think the Israeli State is signatory to this binding international treaty. (11-05-1949 )

One link:Question of Palestine at the United Nations

www.un.org...
After looking at various alternatives, the UN proposed the partitioning of Palestine into two independent States, one Palestinian Arab and the other Jewish, with Jerusalem internationalized (Resolution 181 (II) of 1947). One of the two States envisaged in the partition plan proclaimed its independence as Israel and in the 1948 war expanded to occupy 77 per cent of the territory of Palestine. Israel also occupied the larger part of Jerusalem. Over half of the indigenous Palestinian population fled or were expelled. Jordan and Egypt occupied the other parts of the territory assigned by the partition resolution to the Palestinian Arab State which did not come into being.

In the 1967 war, Israel occupied the remaining territory of Palestine, until then under Jordanian and Egyptian control (the West Bank and Gaza Strip). This included the remaining part of Jerusalem, which was subsequently annexed by Israel. The war brought about a second exodus of Palestinians, estimated at half a million. Security Council resolution 242 (1967) of 22 November 1967 called on Israel to withdraw from territories it had occupied in the 1967 conflict.

In 1974, the General Assembly reaffirmed the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people to self-determination, national independence and sovereignty, and to return. The following year, the General Assembly established the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People. The General Assembly conferred on the PLO the status of observer in the Assembly and in other international conferences held under United Nations auspices.

Now for my opinion. Since Israel unilaterally declared independence without stating it's boundaries, Palestine should unilaterally declare independence and state it's boundaries to include all territories per 11-05-1949 not including internationally recognized current Jordanian, or Egyptian territory.

[edit on 20-3-2010 by pthena]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

However, if I were immensely powerful, I know what I'd do with Israel

O, please do tell. What would you do to Israel? By the way, I couldn't help but notice upon looking at the word Israel. It is very similar to Is-real. Hmmm.

~ Zeus

[edit on 20-3-2010 by Zeus2573]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Kind of strange, isn't it? Here we have a country that has not just been occupying, but continually increasing its hold on, territory in contravention of UN resolutions for over 4 decades. A country that has developed nuclear weapons but refuses to allow IAEA inspection. A country with a poor human rights record. A country, the agents of which have been caught in crimes & are widely suspected of assassination, a charge which it refuses to confirm or deny, thus leaving the threat of state-sponsored murder a possibility, ie terrorism. Yet there are no UN sanctions against Israel, rather military aid.
For all those that think the UN is going to take over your country...
If it cant reign in a tiny rogue state like Israel, what can it do?

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I see this as Israel not listening to Obama's repeated request to stop and as such he clearly exerted pressure on the UN to repeat what he has already asked or"COMMANDED" Israel not to do. Please remember Obama is "President of the UN Security Council" which although it it against our Constitution for him to do, Obama has shown the American public and the world exactly what he thinks of our Constitution.

It is clear to me and others that Obama could care less and is willing to use the US Constitution to wrap Rahm Emanuel's fish.

To me this UN media release is more evidence that relations between Israel and the USA are in dire straights. Obama is using what influence he has and is using the typical Israeli response against them as a means of painting Israel as the demons that they could be if Israel attacks Iran with nuclear weapons. He wants to paint Israel as being a danger to themselves and others.

As long as Israel continues to act in accordance to their usual manner, Obama will succeed in proving to world or at least planting the idea that Israel is out of control and has become a danger to the Middle East.

If this is the case then Obama is more of a threat to Israel than Iran ever thought of being to Israel. This fact alone is enough to make one wonder just what Obama has in mind for the future of Israel.

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

considering the current super power cant say anything to israel without back peddling and then retracting or moddifying their disagreement with this country.

is this supprising?

None of the countries with real power give a cr** or have the balls clinched by the lubby groups to do anything

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

As long as Israel continues to act in accordance to their usual manner, Obama will succeed in proving to world or at least planting the idea that Israel is out of control and has become a danger to the Middle East.
What does anyone need Obama for to "prove" or "plant the idea"? The actions of Israel have been & are constantly all over the MSM. All anyone needs to think about is UN resolutions + IAEA + Goldstone Report + Mossad = Rogue State. Its not rocket science.
Thats not to say they are the only ones, but they are the only ones with nukes.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack

Obama is "President of the UN Security Council"

I've have heard this before. Is there any documentation to verify that?

1. He is President of the United States.
2. He is President of the UN Security council. (?)
3. Noble Peace Prize winner. (first year in office)

Is there anything else that we need to know about this man? I don't know about everyone else, but I'm starting (although I pretty much already knew) to get the picture.

Edit: Spellin'

~ Zeus

[edit on 20-3-2010 by Zeus2573]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack

If this is the case then Obama is more of a threat to Israel than Iran ever thought of being to Israel. This fact alone is enough to make one wonder just what Obama has in mind for the future of Israel.

Thanks for the posting.

Shouldn't that read ....

This fact alone is enough to make one wonder just what Israel has in mind for the future of Obama

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Those that know the truth know that this country has been under the control of Israeli interest for decades. 911 was an Israeli Moussad "false flag" operation deliberately done to draw the US into a war against the muslims. So we are fighting Israel's war for them. It's time that America wake and realize that Israel is an enemy of the US and not an ally.

top topics

join