It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video game 'cancer' group funded by Atkinson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Video game 'cancer' group funded by Atkinson

www.news.com.au

A GROUP that says video games and violence are like smoking and lung cancer has received tens of thousands of dollars in funding from politician and outspoken R18+ game critic Michael Atkinson.

An expert from the Australian Council on Children and the Media this week told a TV news program the link between violent games and youth violence was stronger than tobacco and cancer.

“It’s much greater than the effect of smoking on lung cancer,” psychologist Dr Wayne Warburton said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Australian Net Filtering - Why is this not a big issue?
Korean baby dies as parents Kim Yoo-chul and Choi Mi-sun raise virtual bub

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Just for those who need to know who Michael Atkinson is:

Michael Atkinson

an Australian politician, is the current South Australian Attorney-General, Minister for Justice, Minister for Veterans' Affairs, and Minister for Multicultural Affairs in the Rann Labor Government. He represents the electorate of Croydon in the South Australian House of Assembly.[2]

LOL WHAT?

More of a link between violence and games than cancer and smoking? What in the world is Australia coming to? With our Internet filtering, lack of an R classification for game and now making gamers out to be the scourge of humanity.

I am not sure whether these people realise how many people are gamers.

I also find it rather odd that a politician is financially backing this group. Isn't it normally the other way around?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I simply dont understand australian politics. Why does the government insist that everyone in their country are children anyhow? I assume that there is healthy debate and opposition towards these asinine comments trying to hail in censorship...

I would say that censoring australian media is useless considering the internet is "right there"..but alas, you lot are censoring the net now as well...

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Australia's level of censorship is mind-boggling. Sure, whack an 18 certificate on everything down to pacman if you have to, but don't the adults get to be grownups?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
World of Warcraft DOES kill people!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by starstrings
World of Warcraft DOES kill people!

Hmm, only in a "social life" aspect

I've played for many years. im still breathing (or am i?)

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

I guess that depends on if you think you are currently buffed with unending breath..

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
LOL

I play violent games for a LONG time

I never felt the desire to kill anyone I mean, these games are nice because you can beat other people, like competition, these games didnt change anything for me

they should be worry about people doing med school, u need to be a psychopath to wanna cut people ... but hey, lets throw the problems to the games

if u stop to think, everybody plays games, I mean, EVERYBODY watches movies, everybody watches tv shows, so, they need to respect our intelligence

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I personally like to think that computer games save lives.

There has been many a time where i felt like shooting someone and it was nice to go home and take out my anger on something that doesn't really exist.

Some people hit the bottle, some people hit a punching bag, i mash a controller until something virtual dies LOL.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
More pathetic attempts by the government to blame media for people's issues. First it was violent books, violent movies, now violent video games. Whats next to come under fire by the Paranoia Brigade? Oh wait, I think they hit pretty much everything by now...

What it all comes down to is, it's the person's choice to engage in violent acts. Media may show them slightly more creative ways of doing this, but it's not the reason they do it. A violent psychopath will be a psychopath with or without their Call of Duty. I've played tons of gory, violent games and literally the last thing I want to do in my life is kill another human being unless it can be avoided. They point their fingers at games, I point my finger in this direction

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
People that don't play video games are feeling more violent lately.

Couldn't have jack to do with Mars flying all red up high in the sky right now, or the IRS, or people fed up with occupations, and police tasering old ladies, and people not having jobs, and being homeless, eh?

Seriously, how would you really define your control group on that one? Only brain dead people that have had lobotomies that never read the news?

join