It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomb of Queen Behenu found in Saqqara

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The tomb of Queen Behenu wife of either Pepi I or Pepi II has been found in Saqqara:

heritage-key.com...

A French archaeological team digging at Saqqara has discovered the burial chamber of 6th Dynasty Queen Behenu, wife of either Pepi I or Pepi II. The burial chamber was revealed while the team was cleaning the sand from Behenu's pyramid in the area of el-Shawaf in South Saqqara, west of the pyramid of King Pepi I.

The burial chamber uncovered by the French mission is badly damaged, apart from two inner walls which contain engraved Pyramid Texts. Those texts were widely used in royal tombs – carved on walls as well as sarcophagi - during the 5th and 6th Dynasties (circa 2465-2150BC).

Pyramid Texts are religious texts composed of spells primarily concerned with protecting the king's remains, reanimating his body after death, and helping him ascend to the heavens. The spells delineate all of the ways the king could travel through the afterlife, including ramps, stairs, ladders, and most importantly, flight. The spells could also be used to call on the gods for help, even threatening them if they did not comply. Unlike the Book of the Dead, into which parts of the pyramid texts later evolved, these Old Kingdom texts were not illustrated.

Dr. Philippe Collombert, who heads the mission, said that further excavation inside the burial chamber led the team to the queen's sarcophagus. He adds that although the sarcophagus is in good condition, it still stays unclear if this queen was the wife of Pepi I or Pepi II: "It is a well-preserved granite sarcophagus engraved with the queen's different titles, but says nothing about the identity of her husband".

The French mission has been working within the necropolis of Pepi I at Saqqara, where they discovered the 25 meter long pyramid of Behenu and Pyramid Text fragments, since 2007. They have located a total of seven 'queen pyramids' dating to the reigns of Pepi I and Pepi II – rulers of the 6th Dynasty - since the beginning of their project in 1989. The pyramids have been attributed to Queens Inenek, Nubunet, Meretites II, Ankhespepy III, Miha, and a yet unidentified queen.

"What is left of the north wall of the burial chamber, with the pyramid texts clearly visible." Heritage Key
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bbc57c6309a1.jpg[/atsimg]

I have quote the article in full but there are some more pictures in it that I have not reproduced.

This is the sarcophagus:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/720515ab5561.jpg[/atsimg]

Pyramid of Behenu:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89d48e2dfff0.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 4-3-2010 by berenike]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Here is some information on Saqqara:

heritage-key.com...

Saqqara is situated 30 km from modern-day Cairo in Egypt and is a well known place for the famous Step Pyramid of king Djoser. It is a huge burial ground which served as the Necropolis for the ancient Egyptian capital of Memphis. The area has served as the necropolis for almost 3,000 years and has proved to be the birth place of new architecture of pyramid styles.

This necroplis holds the Pyramid of Pepi I, who ruled over Egypt during the 6th dynasty reigning from 2332 – 2283 BC. The pyramid lies towards the south of Saqqara and is almost completely destroyed due to stone raids throughout the centuries. The pyramid contains around 2500 stone blocks which hold hieroglyphic texts.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/03bdaaccddcb.jpg[/atsimg]

A little bit about Pepi I

heritage-key.com...

King Pepi I, otherwise known as Pepi I Meryre was the 3rd king of the 6th dynasty of Egypt. He reigned from 2332 – 2283 BC and held the throne name Neferdjahor meaning Beloved of Re. His reign was marked by aggressive expansion into Nubia, which led to the spread of trade to areas such as Lebanon and the Somalian coast. Pepi I was a great builder who ordered extensive construction projects in Upper Egypt.

His two most important wives were Ankhesenpepi I and Ankhesenpepi II, however it is believed that Queen Behenu, who's pyramid has recently been discovered, may also have been a wife to the king. Pepi I is buried in his Pyramid located in the necropolis at South Saqqara.

And Pepi II

heritage-key.com...

Pepi II, otherwise known as Pepi II Neferkare was the last pharaoh of Egypt's Old Kingdom during the 6th dynasty. He reigned from 2278 - 2184 BC and held the throne name Neferkare meaning Beautiful is the Ka of Re. He held the longest reign in Egypt of 94 years, as he succeeded to the throne at the age of 6 after the death of Merenre I.

His reign marked the decline of the Old Kingdom as during his reign the power of the nomarchs, who were the semi-feudal rulers of Ancient Egyptian provinces, grew in strength and support leading to the decline of the power of the pharaoh. His death signaled the end of the Old Kingdom.

Over his long life Pepi II had several wives, it is believed that Queen Behenu, who's pyramid has recently been uncovered, may also have been a wife to the king. Pepi II's burial Pyramid is located in South Saqqara, which serves as the necropolis for the Ancent Egyptian capital known as Memphis.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Here are more detailed histories of Pepi I:

www.touregypt.net...

And Pepi II

www.touregypt.net...

Here's Pepi II with his mother Ankhnesmerire II

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc382a388fb5.jpg[/atsimg]

Close up:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cb416321aae.jpg[/atsimg]