It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolving Responsibility for Preserving a First Amendment Miracle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
www.ntia.doc.gov...

In fact, “leaving the Internet alone” has been the nation’s Internet policy since the Internet was first commercialized in the mid-1990s. The primary government imperative then was just to get out of the way to encourage its growth. And the policy set forth in the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was: “to preserve the vibrant and competitive free market that presently exists for the Internet and other interactive computer services, unfettered by Federal or State regulation.”

This was the right policy for the United States in the early stages of the Internet, and the right message to send to the rest of the world. But that was then and this is now.

US government rescinds 'leave internet alone' policy

www.theregister.co.uk...

The decision to effectively end the policy that made the internet what it is today is part of a wider global trend of governments looking to impose rules on use of the network by its citizens.

In the UK, the Digital Economy Bill currently making its way through Parliament has been the subject of significant controversy for advocating strict rules on copyright infringement and threatening to ban people from the internet if they are found to do so. The bill includes a wide variety of other measures, including giving regulator Ofcom a wider remit, forcing ISPs to monitor their customers’ behavior, and allowing the government to take over the dot-uk registry.

In New Zealand, a similar measure to the UK’s cut-off provision has been proposed by revising the Copyright Act to allow a tribunal to fine those found guilty of infringing copyright online as well as suspend their Internet accounts for up to six months. And in Italy this week, three Google executives were sentenced to jail for allowing a video that was subsequently pulled down to be posted onto its YouTube video site.

Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
UK Digital Economy Bill will wipe out indie WiFi hotspots in libraries, unis, cafes
www.boingboing.net...
I had to look up this bill because I knew nothing about it.

GlennF sez, "The Digital Economy Bill in the UK that Cory has written about has a new, horrible portion that could cause many (most?) public hotspots to shut down unless run by companies large enough to handle the recordkeeping requirements. This ZDNet UK article cites legal experts who say that the penalties associated with failure to comply will make small businesses turn off hotspots. Universities and libraries may face huge liability as well."

Lilian Edwards, professor of internet law at Sheffield University, told ZDNet UK on Thursday that the scenario described by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) in an explanatory document would effectively "outlaw open Wi-Fi for small businesses", and would leave libraries and universities in an uncertain position.

"This is going to be a very unfortunate measure for small businesses, particularly in a recession, many of whom are using open free Wi-Fi very effectively as a way to get the punters in," Edwards said.

"Even if they password protect, they then have two options -- to pay someone like The Cloud to manage it for them, or take responsibility themselves for becoming an ISP effectively, and keep records for everyone they assign connections to, which is an impossible burden for a small café."

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
It is getting a little late StormDancer so I will just post a small comment to keep track of thread. S&F of course for the subject matter.

Leave our damn internet alone governments! You will not get this free speech boondoggle!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
It is getting a little late StormDancer so I will just post a small comment to keep track of thread. S&F of course for the subject matter.

Leave our damn internet alone governments! You will not get this free speech boondoggle!

Hi endisnighe,
TY for the post,

They are afraid of the power of the internet, and now they want to silence it.

I don't for one second think it is only about copy right infringements, it is a power grab.

It is one of the last bastions of free speech in which the little guy/gal on a forum, or with a blog, can communicate to a large audience and have their voice heard.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Wow people, I am the only one to see the importance of this information!

I guess you all deserve to start paying a dime per click in the near future.

This will make it more expensive for everyone.

Remember the trick, all you have to do is make it too expensive to be here.

No big conspiracy at all, just the taxation of the internet.

Nothing to see here, move along!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Wow people, I am the only one to see the importance of this information!

I guess you all deserve to start paying a dime per click in the near future.

This will make it more expensive for everyone.

Remember the trick, all you have to do is make it too expensive to be here.

No big conspiracy at all, just the taxation of the internet.

Nothing to see here, move along!

I am shocked at the lack of interest.

top topics

join