It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran says arrests people hired by CIA: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Iran says arrests people hired by CIA: report

www.reuters.com

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran said on Sunday it had arrested seven people accused of stoking unrest after last year's disputed election, including some who were hired by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, the official IRNA news agency reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran says foreign nationals among protest detainees
Iran: A Manufactured Crisis by USA & Israel?

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 2/7/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

"Seven people organisationally linked to the counter-revolutionaries, the Zionist media and elements of the sedition have been arrested," IRNA quoted an Intelligence Ministry statement as saying, without naming them.

It said the detainees were also linked to a U.S.-backed Farsi-language radio station and had received training in Istanbul and Dubai, for example in disrupting public order, spreading rumors and conducting sabotage.

"A number of them were officially hired by the U.S. intelligence agency, the CIA," the statement said, adding that they had played an important role in 'post-election riots', particularly on the Shi'ite mourning day of Ashura that fell on December 27.

If true then this reflects the deep covert Op's. being run inside Iran. I remember in January also there was an article reporting Iran arresting foreigners who were in middle of riots.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 2/7/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Well it's not a surprise...

Bush authorises covert CIA operations to destabilise Iran

An ABC News report on Tuesday provided further evidence that the Bush administration is actively engaged in a covert campaign of destabilisation aimed at “regime change” in Iran.

According to the American television network, Bush signed a formal “non-lethal presidential finding” earlier this year authorising “a CIA plan that reportedly includes a coordinated campaign of propaganda, disinformation and manipulation of Iran’s currency and international financial transactions”. [...]
It would also be wrong to conclude that covert operations are confined to the CIA. According to a number of media reports, including detailed articles from veteran investigative journalist Seymour Hersh, the Pentagon and other US agencies have been actively targetting Iran since at least 2004. Unlike the CIA, which—formally at least—requires a presidential finding to mount “black” operations, the US military has, under Bush, increasingly engaged in its own covert activities, including the dispatch of special forces units inside Iran, without any congressional oversight.

I'm sure they increased the aims of the operation...

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Also keep in mind, this news "company" is completely "state-sponsored", and at times can seem a little bit "biased".

But I really doubt this is true. I think the guys that got arrested are lying, or this didn't happen at all.

I really thought that Black Ops projects were a lot more 'covert' than just 'hiring' any dudes off the street, that will eventually go on to tell everyone what was going on with Black Ops and stuff.

Not that I expect each Shadow Gov't, Black Ops person to be equipped with a self-destruct button, for when their mission could potentially be found out, but I kinda do expect something more like this than the story reported.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Imo these kind of acts also hurt any legitimate protests & protesters.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Well that is, after all, how they pulled AJAX. And it was the same kind of games that got the Sha ousted. You should not suppose that the CIA is almighty, their techniques of political interference run the range from crude to highly sophisticated (with the crude having a better track record).

So yes, while it seems improbable, this is one of the techniques the CIA has used repeatedly in the past to topple foreign govs. But of course, these overt actions are never the whole story, they are most often part of a program that contains other, less obvious steps (like paying off the Jundullah militia).

Anyways, when one is up against plausible deniability, it is very hard to see what is true and what is propaganda. I could imagine the CIA doing these things right now (as certainly we have been stirring up Iran the last couple of years) but to be definite on anything of this nature is hard. It's 20010 and we still do not have a complete picture of AJAX and other stuff - allthough we have a reasonably good trail of documents that tells us at least part of the story.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by NichirasuKenshin]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Well if you believe this, you should believe all arrested protestors are working for the CIA as well.

The issue has gone past their repeated propaganda, and even the nuclear issue. The regime is bankrupt and whatever it does or says it's finished.

It really does not matter if these are CIA, because the CIA cannot control tens of millions of Iranian's and tell them what to do. The regime's own actions are sowing the seeds for their destruction.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

Imo these kind of acts also hurt any legitimate protests & protesters.

It matters very little at this point if they're CIA because Iranian's know that some of the killed and executed were their friends and not CIA. That's all that matters to them now, and the regime has been caught lying so many times that Iranian's wouldn't believe whatever they say, and assume they're crying wolf until the very end.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
While I have no doubt that this is possibly true, one must also keep in mind that Iran only has two choices concerning the protesters that are getting arrested and subsequently sentenced to death:

1. Say they are secret U.S. CIA agents that are being hung
2. Say they are Iranian citizens unhappy with the current rule in Iran and are being hung

Gee....which answer do you think will be more well-received by the people of Iran? Again, not saying it's not true, but Iran certainly has much to gain (or at least less to lose) by saying it is.

new topics

top topics

join