It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim TV chief freed after arrest in Johannesburg for alleged terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I am glad that South Africa is following some degree of sanity by allowing the the head of Britains main Muslim TV station to go free after being lawfully detained for 48 hours.

He was arrested at OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg because of an Interpol arrest warrant (for alleged terrorism) - however, there was no repsonse from Tunisia so he was freed.

I was half-surprised he was not whisked away by a US Rendition flight to parts unknown. I guess it may still happen.

Mr Harrath’s Islam Channel accused his native Tunisia of misleading Interpol resulting in a worldwide request in 1992 to arrest him over terrorism, forgery and arms allegations.

“There’s just a feeling that injustice has been done. This was an issue from 20 years ago, a political matter that happened back in Tunisia. I was fighting for justice and I am proud of what I did,” he told South Africa Press Association after being released. “I consider myself as a friend of South Africa, who knows more than anyone about injustice.”

As a young man, Mr Harrath helped found the Tunisian Islamic Front which opposed what he regarded as his country’s one-party rule.

Link

join