It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The TYPE of seeds to grow, very important

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I thnk that the way to get a perfect clone from a good apple tree is to just cut a little branch from it, root it, and you have another DNA-exact duplicate.

How to choose the most appropriate branch, etc., I do not know.

Originally posted by Darkice19

Originally posted by beaverg

Originally posted by Darkice19
Golden delicious apples are self pollinators. You only need one tree to grow more apples. I bought a bag of them from wallmart and dug out all the seeds. I had hundreds of them.

Stop right there, Golden Delicious is a hybrid so out of those hundreds of seeds you will get zero (0) Golden Delicious apples. Apples do not pass stable genetics to the seeds therefore each and every seed you plant will have subtle differences. From completely bitter and inedible to the extremely rare sweet apple. It took thousands, and thousands, and thousands of tries over hundreds of years to find the 5 or so varieties that we are used to today. The rest are cider apples.

For you to get Golden Delicious apples you must take a cutting from a Golden Delicious apple tree and graft it onto another tree. So that means every Golden Delicious Apple you have ever eaten and that has ever been sold at the store has come from one, single, original tree. In fact the tree is from Clay County, West Virginia.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by beaverg]

[edit on 27-1-2010 by beaverg]

Well this sux. I wonder what kind of apples i have growing then. Im going to keep growing them anyways. It will be a nice surprise to see if anything comes of the trees i have.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This is a great thread. Our land is covered in buck thorn. I'm digging up the roots. Then I'll cast native forbs. Hopefully the deer will let them grow but deer don't eat buck thorn, although robins are nice and fat off buckthorn. Still if I do plant any vegetables I'll have to fully cage them in to keep the deer off, as they can jump fences even. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Avacados! Nice and yummy, great fats!

I have two in pots, and three in water still.

Start now though because it will be 5 years or so before you start eating them...

Also I have cranberries startin, dragon fruit, peanuts...looking for some raw almonds.

I basically grow everything I can that I buy.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by brygivrob

Havent read the entire thread, so i'm not sure if someone has mentioned it but make sure if you live in northern(colder) climates, to have seed stock for the winter hardy veggies.

Brussel sprouts, broccoli, and kale are all quite winter hardy. I live in the northern US and I had edible brussel sprouts and kale in Novemeber. By December they were not looking great but in a pinch you could still eat them.

These plants are also good for getting a jump on the growing season, as they can survive a frost.

Winter Hardy
Winter Hardy 2

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by brygivrob

You can root grapevines the same way. Grapevines should be pruned in February, take the cuttings and stick them in a bucket of water sitting outdoors. When April rolls around, they will have roots. Plant them and keep the ground wet for a couple of weeks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join