It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Cloud computing" - end of Personal Computers, end of freedom?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Although there is CLOUD based services already existing, I think I did not state the reason as to why CLOUD is bad.

We are entering an information war, if everything is CLOUD based; then what are the chances of the general public winning this information war? Im talking about computer hacking, intel spreading and much more. It is taking away the chance of humanities survival within this to be infowar. I am not referring to Alex Jones' website here, I am talking about something completely different.

I know one thing for sure, I will have offline servers localized.

The future is hacking, the future is intel gathering.

[edit on 8/1/2010 by the_denv]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

Yes, you can have your own servers...your own network. Rsistance will never stop. But, think for a second, if you were in Pakistan, or some other muslim country...or China. Will you risk your life to go against the law? Well, that is the type of system they are preparing for US and West Europe, and the rest of the world.

Also, where will you find the parts for your servers, once they are not sold for public?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I would never use cloud computing for critical and personal information. I am even very suspicious of services like GO TO MY PC that one must pay for. When push comes to shove, the public will wake up and realize that handing over all of our computing needs to THE CLOUD is a very very very bad idea.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

You clearly don't understand cloud computing. I directly use it every single day. You indirectly use it every single day, probably without even noticing.

reply to post by TLomon

There will always be a single point of screwing up as long as people are involved. It doesn't matter if it's in the setup of a cloud service, or a user sat mashing their keyboard.

reply to post by fraterormus

No, cloud computing is something drastically different. And if you want security on the cloud, encrypt your data before you put it in, and keep a local copy. That way you can leverage the power of "the cloud", without losing your privacy, or access to your data.

reply to post by the_denv

Cloud computing is already here. It's working fantastically well. Hint: those social networking sites are frequently based on cloud computing.

reply to post by every uninformed person in this discussion

Cloud computing is just leveraging the power of the datacenters which have existed for years. It allows people to use those resources for themselves, by abstracting resources from hardware. Users communicate with the abstracted resources by the internet. That's it. It's here, it's everywhere, it's fantastically useful, and it's driving major sections of the internet. If you don't directly use it, you are using it (and benefiting from it) indirectly.

Deny ignorance.

<< 1   >>

join