It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US jobless claims (un)expectedly increased to 480,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

More Americans than anticipated filed first-time claims for unemployment benefits last week...

Initial jobless claims rose by 7,000 to 480,000 in the week ended Dec. 12, from a revised 473,000 the prior week...

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Again, I'll ask the question: So, where's your recovery now? Only WWIII will solve this.

www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 12/17/2009 by eldard]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Man, laid off right before Christmas... that's gotta suck.. I suppose I should be thankful for the incredibly *** job that I have, at the very least, it's a paycheck. And you gotta love it when the Government blows the trumpets and stops the press to tell us all how great November was for us, when two weeks later (oops) the economy is still contracting. Personally, I can't wait till 4Q earnings come out, and the Retailers take a sucker punch to the face while the Government tells us it's all ok, the banks are saved! (the rest of you can fend for your selves!)

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
So who exactly thinks this is unexpected? Maybe Dems who think the trillion dollar spending will actually help the country. Everyone else sees the handwriting on the wall.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Okay this weeks jobless claims don't come out until Friday...

what was meant by "(un0expectedly" is each and every week TPTB make one of these corrections... Oops we forgot to count these folks over here...

every Friday we get that headline "Job losses Less than feared" then the following Wednesday we get the "We might have been a little hasty...

Sadly the OP is right in saying this story is very (un)expectedly normal

[edit on 17-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Our politicians continue being greedy and self-centered so we will continue to lose jobs and influence with other countries. This cycle will probably continue long after Obama is gone. Ofcourse he'll still be blaming Bush for most of his problems but oh well. I'm also no fan of Dubya either.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It's no surprise.
December is one of the biggest months for layoffs excluding temporary holiday workers who knowingly get axed after New Years.
A number of years ago when I worked for a large healthcare agency, they did their big layoffs the week of Christmas - one year on the day of the Christmas party that was held at a large and very expensive caterer. A couple of the guys that were axed were in my department and as you can guess, it wasn't a very festive party that afternoon for any of us.
It really is disgusting and unconscionable for business to operate this way but consistent with modern American business practices in general.

The big numbers, if even reported by the government and media considering that they're on this b.s. trend of increasingly 'good' economic 'news', will come after New Year as huge numbers of retail stores close, more retail chains close, and other companies in most business sectors close with large layoffs.

Basically, I think we're going to see another big downshift in the economy after New Years with unthinkable consequences.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The company I work for has already put the word out that seasonal hires can start being let go. I work in retail, but our seasonals usually stick around through Feb. or March due to the increase of business during tax return time.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
First my husband's company cut out all overtime. Then they implemented a four day work week. That didn't last long. Then they started them working 3 weeks, laid off for one. So, they work 3 wks out of the month and get unemployment one week a month. Times are tough, for sure. I hope they don't make any more cuts. I'm thankful he still has a job, but he's making less than half of what he used to make. Unfortunately for him/us, he ends up working many hours for free because of his line of work.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

The headline is funny. I laugh on reading it.

The government and media think every person in the world is dumb all the time.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Some more news for your thread: (and its not good)

Poll Reveals Trauma of Joblessness in U.S.

More than half of the nation’s unemployed workers have borrowed money from friends or relatives since losing their jobs.

How long can we go on?
www.nytimes.com...

The chart in this next article pretty much says it all.
Instead of living in debt, we should have been saving for the inevitable rainy day and living within our means! Crazy idea huh!

Unemployment: Record number Unemployed over 26 Weeks, Diffusion Index

www.calculatedriskblog.com... atedRisk+%28Calculated+Risk%29

Food Stamp Use Soars, and Stigma Fades

www.nytimes.com...

You can watch the collapse happen right before your very eyes here: cohort11.americanobserver.net...
Its always the children who suffer most.
In a country as well off as this one?

www.washingtonpost.com...

Feel lucky you dont live in Pembroke Illinois!
Talk about an ironic name for a town with 46% unemployment!
cbs2chicago.com...
Good luck my fellow broke peeps.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well if this is all before the holidays is over I wonder how will look after January when all those that were hired during this season will be out in the streets again.

Well is not that we didn't know about all this, is just that I wonder when people seems to be so surprised.

You see is something call shadow numbers the real numbers that the government doesn't want you to know.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Whoa, hold the phone, good news!

Economic reports point to gradual recovery

A report on unemployment claims and a forecast of U.S. economic activity pointed Thursday to an economy mending slowly, without the job growth needed to fuel a vigorous recovery.

news.yahoo.com...

Okay.........Its all good peeps, we're on the mend now!

Nothing to see here, move along!

I didnt know we could be in recovery,
yet millions are still losing their jobs!

Gotta love the MSM!

Wonder what happens when the peeps figure out their jobs arent coming back....they were outsourced long ago.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

So.... our jobs are not mending...

Our costs of living are not mending..

Our fear of economic peril is not mending..

WTF IS MENDING???? WILL SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS MENDING IF PEOPLE ARE STILL LOOSING THEIR HOMES, THEIR JOBS, THEIR SECURITY, THEIR EFFING SHIRTS OFF THEIR BACKS???

"A jobless recovery.. where everyone recovers EXCEPT YOU" This should be Obama's economic slogan.

Asshats.

Sorry for being angry.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Actually for comedies sake I can explain what happened. [Since it happened to me today] Most of the new claims are not new, they are people who had to reapply for their unemployment. I have been laid off since Dec. 14 of last year and this past week my benefits were not released. Calling my unemployment hotline and an hour of phone tag, I was told that I had to reapply for my benefits. My money is on the "new" claims being people like me needing to reapply.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

That is not considered a "First Time Claim"... that is considered a "Continued Claim" .. your original claim last (as of to date) 72 weeks, depending on your state. Even if you reapply.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Really? Hmm I did not know that. My bad
Still I wouldn't be surprised if that type of data was being used by one side or the other.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I know huh!
I think the only ones actually mending are the asshat bankers.
And they had help from us!

Big pharma and big oil definately arent hurting either.
Funny how certain ones are doing so well amid a depression...

I dont blame you for beng angry.
If anyone is not at least perturbed about it,
they arent paying attention!

Thanks for the reply RP!

top topics

join