It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Hardened criminals? Arrested for food fight.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Several Kids Arrested After Food Fight: Parents Worry That Criminal Records For Such An Event Will Haunt Students' Futures

More than two dozen students were slapped with criminal charges in connection with a food fight in the cafeteria at a Chicago charter school.

The students were caught in chaos at Perspectives Charter Schools Calumet Campus. Police arrested 25 students ranging in age from 11 to 15 after a food fight broke out in the cafeteria Thursday.

"The next thing you know I saw a tray fly up in the air, and then I saw an orange fly," student Jordan Grevious said. 'Then, I heard the words 'food fight.'"

More...

I think there is no question some consequence is warranted for this event, but did it really require arresting these children?

The incident injured about three students. Student Porche Carter says she tried to help one of them but was arrested and handcuffed.

Some students say a staff member belittled them, calling them "animals," then police hauled them off. They stayed at the 6th District Chicago police station for hours before parents say they were notified.

"These kids are going to have records for things that they potentially did not even do," parent Monique Greene complained.

Their concerns regarding a criminal record are well founded.

:shk:

How we treat children in this country is a joke...

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It's the police state.
We cannot tolerate youths behaving with such a mob-based mentality.

Food fights are not to be tolerated.
End transmission.

Seriously though, I can clearly see the concerns the parents have.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think it is the dream of many kids to experience a food fight when going through school...

A dream that I am more than likely going to miss!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
On one hand it seems a bit over the top to me, but then on the other hand I have to consider the comments from teachers, that I work with now, on how badly misbehaved many students are today. The poor teachers have their hands tied with the inability to discipline, and are forced to resort to police intervention, or stand in fear of being charged with something themselves. Back when I was in school, such an incident would have lead to many hours of school detention/service, and possibly a trip to the principals office for a meeting with the board of education (the type with a handle and holes drilled in it), today schools really do not have those options thanks to sue happy parents.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
ya send em to prison. (sarcazm)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
come on! being arrested for a food fight! That's #ing ridiculous... I can't believe that I really can't...

What on earth do TPTB expect though? They always show kids having food fights on the boob tube... kids learn by imitation

top topics

join