It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expansion of Edinburgh air force base in Adelaide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
In the last few months theres been plenty of hype about expansion and future redevelopment of RAAF base Edinburgh. Does anyone know what for any why exactly.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The base no longer belongs to the RAAF, it still used by them along with civilian aircraft.

Its normal for people to kick up a fuss over increasing runway length. Firstly it means bringing in bigger and noisier aircraft. Most likely means more traffic over that area. Maybe they claiming more land or pushing the noise closer to suburbs.

Jacksonville airport, Florida have the same problems, nothing in it!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It's simply to upgrade the facilities, it's been in service since the 50's.

It's probably also because Edinburgh will be involved in phasing out the P-3 Orion and establishing it's replacement, the P-8 Poseidon.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I understand that they are increasing Edinburghs capacity whilst closing Parafield airport and transfeering all services there. The Parafield land will be sold of for future housing development.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What do you make of this thing at RAAF Williamtown?

I count three different gates on this taxiway and only 2 to get to the ammunition storage.

Looks kind of like a bunker but could be a testing place for engines or cannons?

F-18s based here.

Red is fence and black is gate, this is inside an Air Force Base and the F-18 hangars have no such protection.

i33.tinypic.com...

[edit on 9-11-2009 by jbenn43]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Also lots of bunkers at RAAF Tindal, what's up there? one squadron of F-18s and at least 10 large bunkers in addition to the ammunition storage.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
They are re-establishing the 7th Battalion and basing it at the base.
I believe it will be re-established by restructuring existing battalions around.
And yes, it is currently STILL a RAAF base.

There will be about 1,200 soldiers + their families, and over 350 vehicles. It will be a mechanized battalion.

They are basically going to expand the base with new facilities, some that will be jointly used by the Army and Air Force. Obviously there will be accomodation, as well as training facilities

It's basically part of defences/governments plan for a Hardened and Networked army. It has nothing to do with the replacement of the Orions. That's a seperate issue/matter all together.

Here's some images of what they intend to build.

new topics

top topics

join