It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis-HELP!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
too much horror shows/movies/books perhaps?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies.
To address some of the questions..
No she was never attacked, so this isn't reliving an experience.
She has no cable TV, internet, or even time to watch scary movies as she works full time, and has a busy social schedule too.
She has alternate nights with either terrors or paralysis..not at the same time.

We are exploring the avenue of diet, as I pointed out to her, that if I drink anything with caffeine in it before bed, I have horrible nightmares.
She said she quiet often drinks a Dr.Pepper before bed..so I told her to stop and see what happens.
We'll see the outcome.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
i don't normally get sleep paralysis but i was on some meds called amitriptyline which could make me induce them at high doses say 200mg+ yes i freaked out at first like wtf is going on and i pulled out so i had control over it... didn't see any aliens or nothing like that though

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Directed dreaming techniques may help. Try to do some mental exercises prior to drifting off to sleep. Try closing your eyes and bring your hand up to your face.
Imagine you can see your hand. Tell yourself to look at your hands in your dream. Focus on that task intensely before falling asleep.
When you dream, try and bring your hand into focus. This exercise will have astonishing results, once you can actually accomplish it.
It sometimes takes a few attempts, but once you do it, you will gain a small amount of control over your dream state.

There are other techniques, but the one I mention is a very simple and effective beginners trick that really works.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

well, all i can say is sleep paralysis is very scary, and at times seems as real as your hand in front of your face. it seems to happen to me during nightmares that i can never remember the story to, all i know is i wake up in bed frantically breathing hard and i often find myself muttering phrases that have no relevancy to what i am doing at the time...
hopefully these encounters stop for her, if it happens to be something paranormal i would suggest following your religions guidelines on how to deal with this thing, if you arent very spiritual or religious it might help to call someone who is and can help with the problem. but perhaps it is something caused by her stress. because dreams are interpretations of what we need to get out of our system or what we are feeling at the time. maybe going to a sleep counselor would be a good safe bet.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Hello AccessDenied.

First off let me just say that I feel for your daughter - I have had sleep paralysis ever since early childhood so I can definitely sympathise. I will list a few aspects from experience that may or may not help:

1- I am 29 years old now. The worst times I ever had - coincidence or not - were when I was 19. It was hectic - the sounds, the feelings, it went so far as me feeling the clear, "real" touch of breath to my face's skin as things were being "whispered" to me in the dark of the night. It can freak you out beyond reason.

2- I still have sleep paralysis. It has even progressed into visual hallucinations (some rare times) but I'm not freaked out any more. I just take it for what it is.

I cannot tell you what the origin of SP is or what it means all I can tell you is that at some point I simply refused to be afraid of it. If your daughter has my condition then she will know that we feel when it is starting - a sudden sense of vertigo for lack of better words to explain it - at that point focus that you're not afraid, relax... calm down. Then just let it happen.

This is I know a pretty flimsy piece of advice
it is not medical or scientific - it is just how I have dealt with SP. It worked for me.

I hope it helped some and I wish all the best to you and yours.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I think it just depends on ones personal thoughts at the time. If their alone in a dark room and start getting affraid or start thinking that there's something else in the room with them they may get nervous/scared and this would probably increase adrenalin until something actually does go 'creak/bump' in the night, then theres the atomatic assumption that its a 'other worldly' being of sorts that may have caused it, not that thier in a converted 1900 building.
My own experiences (and im 23) when im sleeping facing the wall (one side of my beds next to a wall, the other isnt) i sometimes get that spin chilling feeling that somethings behind me. And always being curious, i role over and 'loe-and-behold' theres nothing their. Its just self induced paranoia basically.

...And id only be worried when i actually do role over and see a Alien/Ghost thing. You know? But then id probably try having a little chat with it.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Not to sound disrespectful towards your post but Sleep Paralysis goes way beyond that. It is a medically recognized sleeping disorder. To dismiss it as you did is the same as claiming somnambulism is when people just dreamed they walked somewhere.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

sleep paralasys is a result of many things....often occurring with people between the ages of 17 and 35 regularly...and less regularly after that age...stress is a partial cause...however methods to try and prevent them are simple...sleep on your side or front and NOT on your back...sleeping on your back helps to induce a night terror...reduce stress and close the bedroom door before you sleep...small subconscious feelins help to induce night terrors...if in the back of your mind you r thinking something could come through an open door...it may induce a night terror later on in the night...also lack of sleep can be a cause...most night terrors happen in that stage when you are just drifting off to sleep or waking up from sleep. the stage where you are half awake/asleep. ask your daughter what type of terror she is having...because there are common types with many people witnessing the same things. if she is having a common night terror then that rules out it being anything spiritual or supernatural

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
this subject has always facinated me, i have never had it myself but i can imagine it would be terrifying

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTrueFiction
H
1- I am 29 years old now. The worst times I ever had - coincidence or not - were when I was 19. It was hectic - the sounds, the feelings, it went so far as me feeling the clear, "real" touch of breath to my face's skin as things were being "whispered" to me in the dark of the night. It can freak you out beyond reason.

Cheers.

thats wierd because i was 19 when i used to get it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join