It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Su-30MK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Su-30MK multipurpose fighter

Link

on that website it says:

The usage of canards and TVC ensures supermaneuvrabllity of the aircraft at speeds equal to and below zero

below zero??? hows that possible? do they mean flying backwards?

can someone clarify this for me

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by titus
do they mean flying backwards?

Yes, absolutely.

Су-30МК в airwar.ru:

translation of part of the Su-30MK article:
Aircraft Su-30MK's aerodynamic configuration is unstable in all 3 axes. For increase in lift and maneuverability canards are installed, which rotate automatically to ensure steady flight at all angles of attack. This integral aerodynamic configuration, combined with automatic thrust vectoring, ensures state-of-the-art maneuverability and excellent takeoff and landing performance. Equipped with digital fly-by-wire, Su-30MK can do several unique maneuvers used for anti-missile defense and achievement of advantage (e.g. forcing an overshoot) in close combat. These already-known maneuvers are kolokol "bell", kobra "cobra". Also are some maneuvers which are yet impossible on other aircraft, the kulbit "somersault" - a maneuver in which the aircraft carries out a revolution in the pitching plane of 360 degrees without the loss of height. Also is the upravlenniye ploskii shtopor (positive yaw/roll and angular rate reversal, during post-stall flight). This is when aircraft accomplishes complete horizontal turn with reversal of rotation without having forward motion, falling in one spot.

Example of kulbit to engage helicopter with forward-firing missiles. - scroll all the way to the bottom to see the image. Site does not allow hot linking. Sorry but it's in Slovak too. It was the only pic i could find that shows tactical use of kulbit.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by Amet Khan]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
that did clear me up, thanks

now i wont be supprized if their tanks start flying backwards

but is it possible to kulbit tactic against helo with missilles on board?
its pretty useless if you have no missiles

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by titus]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Nope, only forward-flying tanks so far, but they're very old . . . so know knows.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amet Khan
Nope, only forward-flying tanks so far, but they're very old . . . so know knows.

ohhhh my! heh sometimes they cook something up which totally suprizes me

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Su-30MKK :

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
........ now Imagine it with 3d Trust vector control making it much more manuverable and you'll find why I like the Su-37 so much. They can do the "Super-Cobra" similar idea, but the turn is not restricted to what your wings can give you, you can completly stall out and keep manuvering.

new topics

top topics

join