It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Anthrax Attack Pomona, CA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I searched and did not see this yet. There is no article to link to, so I didn't put it in Breaking News, but the RSOE site is showing a possible Anthrax attack!

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Authorities in California were investigating a possible anthrax attack Thursday after a suspicious package opened at a college left one student and 30 other people quarantined. A "possible anthrax in an envelope" call was reported Thursday afternoon to the Student Services office at Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, about 60 kilometers east of Los Angeles, according to an inspector of the Los Angeles County Fire Department. "One student was exposed but is showing no symptoms at this time, " said Mathew Levesque. "And 30 other people have been quarantined to defend them from an exposure." Levesque said hazardous materials teams from the Los Angeles County Fire Department and Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, along with FBI agents were on the scene inspecting a sample of the yellow powder found in an envelope. No information on a possible motive for the suspicious delivery was available, according to the official.)

It could be a false alarm, but 30 people are quarantined for the time being! This will be worth following, since it went to a University, I am sure other Universities are on alert!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

found a Chinese site carrying the story
news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Thanks Warren!

Makes you wonder what the press in the US is actually doing with their time? Surely a basic search of emergency response websites and radio calls is in their repetoire somewhere? Didn't journalists used to sit around monitering police scanners? This was reported yesterday on RSOE! Now a Chinese site notices it, but still no MSM?

There were two Nuclear Reactors shut down with no apparent details yesterday, and I didn't see that reported anywhere! There was a shooting at an Embassy in Fiji a while back that was on the RSOE, but never made the MSM.

They must just be sitting around their journalism offices playing poker and waiting on Reuters or the AP to give them the next story to regurgitate!!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

found a Chinese site carrying the story
news.xinhuanet.com...

I searched Google news and that is the only link I can find also

This happened yesterday and the only place covering the story is Xinhua Net, sounds like a media blackout....

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

I totally agree! The RSOE site picks up on Radio Distress Calls and transposes them to their data collecting site. Many times there is no follow up or details, just the initial call. It appears the Chinese site only has the same info, probably from RSOE.

That means it was probably immediately buried, but why? No one seems to have gotten hurt, and it isn't the first time Anthrax has been sent via the mail, so why not give it some short coverage?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Now, that IS really strange...I can't believe no one is talking about it ANYWHERE!...maybe it was resolved before the MSM had a chance to report on it?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Exactly, You would think they would just say it was some mom sending flour to her daughter to bake cookies, nothing to worry about folks, move along.

Burying it IMO sends up more flags.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

Possibly, but quarantines aren't resolved very quickly, and chemical testing of a yellow powder takes a significant amount of time! Even if it wasn't Anthrax, they would want a definitive answer on what it is before they release anyone!

There are families of at least 30 people wanting some answers, and there is an entire University that is probably pretty stressed and worried, so how could there be absolutely zero coverage??

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
wsprod.westernu.edu...

Ok I went to the Western University website and looked under breaking news and the newest news is from July about students with good work ethics.

Can one of the ATS reporters please follow this up with them I looked up the number and the PR department's number is 909-469-5402.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

San Gabriel Valley Tribune did cover the story, and it was picked up by another website, but both of those stories are almost identical to what I quoted from RSOE in the OP. There is no additional information!

A "possible anthrax in an envelope" call was reported at 2:07 p.m. to the Student Services office at Western University of Health Sciences, 309 E. Second St., said Inspector Mathew Levesque of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

www.sgvtribune.com...
www.nationalterroralert.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
First thing that popped into my head was, quarantine. I don't recall quarantine being used in previous anthrax incidents. I do remember the term isolation but why would they say quarantine?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
First thing that popped into my head was, quarantine. I don't recall quarantine being used in previous anthrax incidents. I do remember the term isolation but why would they say quarantine?

Excellent point, because exposure to weaponized Anthrax would not be communicable! It would only affect those that inhaled it, so no need for a quarantine? Observation maybe? Isolation maybe?

It seems they are worried it is something other than Anthrax that could be passed on to other people!

It also said "Yellow" powder, rather than the white we always here about in the previous attacks!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I contacted the school and it turns out that it wasnt an anthrax attack. I didnt get all the details, but sounded like a false alarm made by over active imaginations.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Thanks Tentickles!!

I wonder if we will at least see a follow up article in the local paper there? And, as in other false alarms, I wonder if the FBI will attempt to prosecute somebody for the hoax!?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Until its found out to be an anthrax bearing media, its not really breaking news worthy of everybodies immediate attention.
It obviously didnt turn out to be anything or it would be all over the news, with press conferences, and grandstanding by fear mongers.
IT WOULD EVERYWHERE IN THE MEDIA, if it was actually anthrax.
Theres no way you could keep it secret.
its just one of the thousands of reports of "suspicious envelopes" and "suspicious pakages" that are made every year.
It was irresponsible for the inspector to make the statement he did.
Kinda like the lunch box the bomb squad blew around here a while back.
Someone called the police about a lunch box that was left on a public bench.
So of course you have to cordon off the whole neighborhood, call in the bomb squad, all the LE helicopters, and the swat team.
So then they take the "lunch box" to the bomb proof disposal trailer, and drive it 45 miles across town to a quarry, in a technicolor procesion of city, county,state, and fed law enforcement officers.
Where it was blown up with much fanfare and high-fiving,
And when they examined the remnants of the "lunch box" to find out just what kind of bomb they saved the public from, they discovered it contained A LUNCH.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Here at FSU, we had a pick up truck in the parking garage with a large cardboard box and the word "bomb" spray painted on it! They evacuated a large part of the school and brought in bomb squads until someone got the bright idea to run the tags, find the kids schedule and get a hold of him!

Turned out to be a prop for something, and was obviously just a crunched up old box! Poor kid, I know he was probably thoroughly investigated though, just to be sure it wasn't an intentional prank!!

People overreact badly these days, and on top of that, they panic at the obvious fake stuff, and they don't realize that a real bomb would most likely never be seen until it went boom!!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The reason it is not in the press is obvious.

One, you don't want stupid people going there to be "lookie-loo's".
(yes, there ARE people stupid enough to do that.)

Two, if there is a chance of really being an attack, they don't want panic as people rush to leave area.

Three, if no word goes out, yet someone says something, they may be involved and we want to know who.

Four, scum who would do this "want" to see it on the news, best thing to do is deny them their 15 min of fame.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I agree, but what does that say about all the nonsense that does make the news?

We hear of "white-powder" incidents all the time, and they typically only affect one or two people, but this one quarantines 30 and we don't hear about it?

You bring up a good point, and the disparity of reporting is very suspicious in my opinion! I am starting to disbelieve everything I hear on the noise, and give more research to everything I hear through the grapevine!

"The sky is yellow and the sun is blue!" --> Jimmy Buffett!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Its really too bad our reporters don't do some real investigative reporting any more. I saw a thing on CNN today that claimed they had invited those people doing the secret cameras against ACORN onto their show but that they had refused. If we are really trying to get news on the air, why don't they try to get on every show they can? Even the ones who seem legit fail to do the right thing!

top topics

join