It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather supercomputer used to predict climate change is one of Britain's worst polluters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Weather supercomputer used to predict climate change is one of Britain's worst polluters

www.dailym ail.co.uk

The Met Office has caused a storm of controversy after it was revealed their £30million supercomputer designed to predict climate change is one of Britain's worst polluters.

It is capable of 1,000 billion calculations every second to feed data to 400 scientists and uses 1.2 megawatts of energy to run - enough to power more than 1,000 homes . . . responsible for more than 12,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What do you call it when the super computer you use to "stave off climate change," spews out vast amounts of the same Carbon Dioxide that is claimed to cause Global Warming . . . oops, I mean Climate Change, (isn't that what they are calling it now?).

I'm not sure what's more irritating, this blatant irony, or the fact that you have to acknowledge Carbon Dioxide as a pollutant to recognize the irony!

I contend that this is more propaganda to get people believing that the Carbon Dioxide they expire is a pollutant, therefore people are polluters, therefore they need to "fill their Carbon Footprint" by paying Carbon Offset's (ie. Carbon Tax) to the likes of Al Gore and company.

When will people learn that "Global Warming," and "Climate Change," are being used as another excuse to tax the life cycle?

Furthermore, when will people realize that using computer models to predict the weather 100 years from now is absurd as most can't even predict what the weather will be next week.

I think one of the commentators of the article says it best:

"if you just say "the weather tomorrow will be the same as today" you will be right more often than the supercomputer.... Dr John Thornes of Birmingham University has calculated that this prediction has a 77 per cent chance of accuracy ..."

www.dailym ail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
So...it can predict climate change pretty darned well, then?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Supercomputers do tend to be hungry little beasts, they also toss off amazing amounts of heat when under load and thus must be cooled else they melt. So i guess now the nuts and fruits come out and demand they take the cluster down and simply go on their slanted doctrine in terms of climate change?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
that's funnier than a drunk clown in a tutu wearing roller skates.

it is the daily mail though, there interpretation of the facts tends to be a bit slanted.

new topics

top topics

join