It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have Hope For America....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
With all that is going on in America today I think one thing is clear and that is there are some major disagreements on the direction of our nation. There are many views of what this nation should and could be and we are finally getting them all out in the open. These town hall meetings in my opinion are the greatest thing to happen to America in a long time. This is how America USED to do business. We used to gather everyone in our little towns and hash out our differences just like we are doing now. Yes there is some yelling and yes there are some people who are considered "rude" but this is exactly how America used to do it's business.

Think about the founding fathers when they were locked in the convention trying to write the future for our country do you think they agreed on everything? Do you not think that they too were in some yelling matches and pissing contests? I mean lets face it these were some of the most prominent men in the country and they all had their views on where our country should be. It seems anymore however major legislation is rammed though congress and sent right to the president with no real debate amongst the people or real dialogue to hash out differences. It's mostly done in secret meetings in Washington and then when they reach their agreements they ram the legislation through, most of the time without reading the bill they vote for. These town hall meetings give me hope for the future of America. I wish these meetings were allowed to happen during the banking bailouts and before the stimulus passing but I'll take the debate on health care.

In final I really hope this isn't a one time thing. I think major legislation should be debated amongst the people just like we are doing now since at the end of the day its us and our families who will be paying for these bills. I don't think having a particular view makes you a terrorist or un American, I think having your view and expressing makes you more American than anyone sitting on their butts and watching So You Think You Can Dance. I also think these town hall meetings are bringing more people into the mix, more people actually involved in politics and the future of our country. We need people involved. We need people to turn off the American Idol, put down their beer, and get over to these meetings and inform themselves. We need an informed society and an involved society. This was the hope of America. This was what America was truly founded on and that is a government for the people by the people and these town hall meetings really are a hallmark of these ideals.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

I completely agree with you. They just don't make politicians like they used to.

The only thing I disagree on is putting down the beer.....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
Reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

I completely agree with you. They just don't make politicians like they used to.

The only thing I disagree on is putting down the beer.....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

My hope is now that the people have had a taste of American ideals they will now demand more of it. I hope people demand more town hall meetings from their politicians and if they don't do it they get voted out. Politicians need to start hearing from the people and not just sending canned emails and canned phone responses. We the people need to start talking about these bills and we need to start getting involved. It is our future we are talking about and that of our families.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I agree. Our politicians need to start spending more time with the people of their home area instead of being in DC all the time.

It's awesome to see more people getting involved, but I think the politicians need to tone down their attitude of "knowing better" than the people. Their job isn't only to explain things to the people, but to listen to the people's concerns and not automatically tell us we don't understand the complexities of it all.

I guess what I mean is, the meetings are not a forum for them to try to justify what they already think, but to consider the perspective of their constituents.

It does give one hope that there is growing interest, but how the politicians react to the influx of concerned citizens is really a determining factor I think.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

We might be able to capitalize on these meetings and that is the people start demanding more of them. These reps need to start actually representing the districts for which they were elected. They need to listen to their constituents as they hash our the issues of the day. I'm proud to be an American right now. I think we are in the midst of a peaceful revolution, one in which people will be more involved and demand more of their government. The only question is will the government comply?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I love that people are disagreeing, fighting, arguing. It means their awake.

And I think we'll make it through. It won't be easy, or pretty, or fun, but we'll get to the other side eventually.

new topics

top topics

join