It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Newsletter issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I saw the Subscribe to Newsletter on the top of the page. It asks for an email address. How do you authenticate if the email address belongs to the user. I dont remember entering any email address when creating an ATS account. If we did enter an email address while creating an account, why not have just a Subscribe button for the newsletter.

My issue is what if someone else enters my email address, or someone just randomly enters an email address and if that email address is mine, then how would you autheticate it, because in that case I am recieving a newsletter even when I did not subscribe to it. This could be abused and people might recieve email that they treat as Spam from ATS

[edit on 7-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
They send an authentication E-mail to your address, if you accept and click the link they provide, you are subscribed. If someone randomly entered an e-mail you just ignore the email ATS sent you.

one problem I noticed though, I subscribed to the newsletter...and it's still asking me to subscribe >_<

edit: are you saying you're receiving the email and you don't want it? if so, there should be a 'cancel subscription' link at the bottom of the email.

hope I answered your question

Roswell.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by roswell1]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by roswell1

What I am saying is that if someone creates a new ATS account and then enters some email address (random) to subscribe, then those users who are not on ATS will recieve the emails of subscription. Those emails will be spam for them, and spam reduces the search engine visibility of a website.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Our subscription list is double-opt-in. No one receives any emails until they click the link in the confirmation email sent out. If an email account doesn't confirm subscription within 10 days, it's removed from the database.

top topics

join