It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dumbing Down of Each Generation

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I don't think each generation is getting progressively dumber, but rather they have different values. For example, today a kid might not know anything about say Literature, but he or she could be a computer wiz. It's not that they are getting dumber, it's just that they focus their learning on things other than older generations (naturally). I hate it when someone thinks they are smarter or in any way superior to any other living creature. No one is smarter or dumber, we have different priorities is all.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I totally agree here, the TV cartoons of today are so mind-numbing I cannot even watch them anymore. The background music is what is mind numbing, and so is some video game's music, the same tune over and over. What happened to Sesame Street? My kids watched that, and they learned things from the show. I remember reading a high school history book of my daughter's once. WW2 and Viet Nam was a paragraph in there, and US history was one or two chapters. I had to remember a lot of history in school just to pass the tests, and had to recite the Gettysburg Address in front of the class. We had tests that had the Civil War battlefields and we had to name them.

My daughter graduated with honors, and went to a 4 year collage for business management. She told me at the graduation party that she had learned more from me that from any school, about life, how to interact with people and employees, how to get a job, and how to drive a car, she to this day has a very low opinion of the education given in public schools, as do I. Today's kids have no parents, they are either both working to support the family, or one is gone, or one is on drugs, there are many latch key kids in America. We have to strap them in the car, and we have to take them out if we are gone from the car for two seconds, I remember making mine go out to the car when they wouldn't mind, and stay in there, in the parking lot. Try that now, and see what happens.

On the subject of TV, I am so bored with it I hardly watch anymore. All I see is cop shows, CSI, NCIS, Law and Order, or one of it's spin offs, what happened to Saturday night at the Movies? Every time a good show comes on, it lasts for a short time, getting me all hooked on it, and then it's gone.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
oh ffs, TV isn't dumbing down your children, the fact that you expect TV to educate your children is dumbing down your children.

here's a strange and unusual concept, go read your child a bloody book. better yet, make them read a book, or go play outside, or set their hair on fire, anything, so long as they're distracted while you throw the damned TV out the window.

what kind of a moron is surprised that watching to much TV makes children dumb?

the reason TV expected more of children in the 50's is because children spent more time not watching the TV, which meant they went and did something else, which is always preferable to watching TV. the damned TV is poison. you're better off getting your kids drunk that letting them watch TV, at least you occasionally learn a life lesson while drunk.

[edit on 25/5/09 by pieman]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
the damned TV is poison. you're better off getting your kids drunk that letting them watch TV, at least you occasionally learn a life lesson while drunk.

[edit on 25/5/09 by pieman]

So funny!!! And I totally agree, tv is poison, that's why I don't have one either...and also because of the fact that I think most shows are more boring than actually having a life (with the exception of flapjack).

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Knowledge doesn't equate to intelligence.
Intelligence is how you apply knowledge..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join