It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain stimulation can treat major depression Or Mind Control Device?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

According to the study presented at the annual meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, targeting this region via an implanted cortical stimulator can lessen the symptoms of severe and medically refractory major depression.

Scientists concluded that deep brain and cortical stimulation are alternative methods for treating major depression.

This is very interesting. Another way to help yourself without having to give in to the large pharam companies and their hurtfull drugs.

Has anybody tried this method out yet? Or has this been known for a while?

I can only hope more studies to find alternative ways of treating illnesses are done.

Edit To Add & Change Title: A poster below put out a very interesting notion that skipped my view when first posting.

His idea was it would act a sort of mind control device, and that's actually not really a far fetched idea when you see them marketing anti depressants to younger and younger people.

Interesting notion.

~Keeper

[edit on 5/10/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Do you have a link tothetenthpower ?

I watch a documentary were a clinically depressed women had regions of her brain stimulated . It was remarkable watching her facial expression/mood shift as they stimulated different regions .
It was rather hit and miss on the part of the doctors , she had to be conscious to give them feedback .
I believe they mentioned implants , can you imagine modulating your mood with the turn of a dial ? .

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Whoops, forgot the link here it is.

Right here

Thanks for reminding me

~Keeper

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Implanted cortical stimulator? I smell a mind control device.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
They have been using these implantable electronic stimulators in the treatment of other disorders (for example, Parkinson's disease) with great success for many years (at least 15). And as someone who has had to take pharmaceutic antidepressants for several years, I wholeheartedly hope that this research is successful.

Think of the difference that pacemakers and implantable cardiac defibrillators have made in the treatment of heart rhythm disorders. People who would have died or at least been completely reliant on medication are able to lead normal lives through such interventions.

I understand the concern regarding the possible application of this technology to mind control, and I share it. But I also believe that if such research is being done covertly, then it is being done; that is no excuse to keep such promising technology from people for whom it might have a legitimate use.

As I understand it, one problem with antidepressants is that the neurotransmitter systems that they act on are important in so many functions in the body aside from mood. These implantable electronic stimulation devices can be very precisely targeted; the hope is that only the area responsible for the mood disorder can be stimulated.

Here's another article on DBS (deep brain stimulation) in depression: source

And in Parkinson's: source

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well that's very interesting, I did not know they were using these already for other diseases.

Thanks for the imput everyone, it's much appreciated.

However, I still might be inclined to think it's a mind control device, since everybody has depression these days, it would be simple to get us buy into these implants

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

join