It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Freedom' out at WTC: Port Authorit says The Freedom Tower is now 1 World Trade Center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

'Freedom' out at WTC: Port Authorit says The Freedom Tower is now 1 World Trade Center

www.nydailynews.com

The Port Authority is taking the "Freedom" out of the Freedom Tower.

Although the 1,776-foot tower hasn't been fully built, funded or leased - and won't be occupied until 2014 - the authority said it will not be called the Freedom Tower, but will simply be known as 1 World Trade Center.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I really don't like all the Fascist style names for things under the Bush Administration. For example, I hate the name Department of Homeland Security. Substitute the word Home with Father and you'll see what I mean.

On the other hand, Freedom Tower was, in my opinion, a good name for the building because everything about that building is supposed to be symbolic, e.g. building it 1776 feet tall, etc...

What are your thoughts?

www.nydailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It should be as they wanted it to be named and that is Freedom Tower. Since we are seeking Freedom for the world then I believe the name Freedom is appropriate. If need be perhaps number 1 Freedom Tower would do to compromise a little. The whole complex should then be named Freedom Gate or Freedom Plaza. Just make it beautiful for all the world to see and admire it.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Is Freedom a dirty word now? I expect outrage to greet this news and the decision to be reversed. What can the possible justification be? :blorf:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I always thought the name was kind of silly, frankly.

Freedom itself is great, the word "freedom" used as an empty slogan to sell us wars and Constitutionally questionable power grabs is not.

I got really sick of people abusing the word "freedom" about the time they started talking about "freedom fries"

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The name "Freedom Tower" has always kind of given me the heebie-jeebies, actually. It seems to suggest that the attack on 9/11/01 paved the way for freedom, rather than serving as an excuse to take away freedoms.

Calling it One World Trade Center at least has a logical rationale -- that's still its address, I believe.

top topics

join