It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists See God on the Brain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

It doesn't matter what book or what it is you're reading or listining to, as long as what ever it is, is causing you to think about it more deeply. And to suggest that only the bible can make you think deeply is quite arrogant.

I don't think anyone ever made that suggestion, not in the article, and not in the previous threads.
It seems to me that you're saying whenever you're thinking deeply about something, you're going to have "higher thought patterns." If this is what you're saying, then you're not saying a whole lot.
There are higher thought patters associated with meditation, which go beyond what has ever been recorded in a person reading a book. I'm not saying its impossible for someone to enter these states while reading a book, but I've never heard of it happening.
My opinion is, basically whatever type of thinking generates this type of brain activity is good, as it expands consciousness and opens a person's mind to a greater variety of possibilities and potential experience. In fact, if we didn't spend our time contemplating greater possibilities there would be no progress whatsoever.
You can say the bible is a complete crock (and I would agree with you for the most part), but what this article proves is that contemplating a spiritual idea such as God, is just as sophisticated as contemplating a scientific formula or a logical puzzle or a philosophical dilemma, even though a good deal of scientists, logicians, and philosophers would argue that it is of no value, because "there's no such thing, afterall."

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Helloooo andre,

Brain scans showed that participants fell back on higher thought patterns when reacting to religious statements, whether trying to figure out God's thoughts and emotions or thinking about metaphorical meaning behind religious teachings.

"That suggests that religion is not a special case of a belief system, but evolved along with other belief and social cognitive abilities," said Jordan Grafman, a cognitive neuroscientist at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke in Bethesda, Maryland.

Let's recap , shall we?

I myself have studied many religions besides the Bible.

If you read one of Illusions or my post, you will see we included things like music, science,and philosophy.

[edit on 093131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
We have to stop thinking of the Bible as the enemy,

One book that helps is

Living Buddha, Living Christ, by Thich Nhat Hanh

also

The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
www.amazon.com...

From Publishers Weekly
The result of the Dalai Lama's decision to lead the 1994 John Main Seminar sponsored by the World Community for Christian Meditation, this book is a record of the seminar. It is refreshing to read the Dalai Lama's meditations on the New Testament selections, many of which he had never read before this seminar but which are among the most familiar for Christians. As His Holiness thinks about famous passages like the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:1-10) and Jesus' resurrection appearance to Mary (John 20:10-18), we see them from the entirely new perspective of Tibetan Buddhist spiritual knowledge and understanding. Consequently, familiar passages are renewed and opened to unexpected insights. In his readings and his dialogues with other seminar participants, the Dalai Lama establishes himself as an authentic presence respectful of Christian traditions. Indeed, he insists that his purpose in the dialogues is not to cast doubt on Christianity but to help others rediscover the deeper meaning and power of the Christian tradition.

I am a Christian who loves Buddhism.

Sometimes one Looks for truth and enlightenment, sometimes it finds you.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

You ever read Merton?

Another Christian you loved Buddhism.

Good stuff...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join