It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent news on Smart Card use in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I have some personal experience, albeit many years ago, with smart card numbers. I haven't heard anything for quite some time and am new to ATS. A decent search hasn't brought me anything concerning Smart Cards in the US.

Here's my limited experience:

1) Smart Card number is 16 digits or more. I helped build a database at one point, as a low level agent for a call center. Included in the Microsoft database was a spot for Smart Card ID and a few people had one listed, most were blank.

2) A person close to me, whom I trust, used to work for Microsoft. Part of the standard security for her level was that she needed her smart card plug-in in order for her computer to be turned on.

All that I know is from years ago; I did a short search on companies I might invest in LOL (*embarrassed lol*) in order to cash in on the wave but only found one German company that I suspected might be involved in mass production.

Please provide links to Smart Card threads or let's bring up the topic! Maybe it's not even secret anymore for all I know =)

p.s. I'm aware of a few National ID card threads for Aus and UK but am mainly interested in US and specifically Microsoft involvement.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Microsoft based Smart Cards have nothing to do with National ID Cards, or any other government identity cards. You are confused. Smart Cards provide user-based authentication and digital certificates. It is just an IT concept for securing Windows networks.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by YourForever
Microsoft based Smart Cards have nothing to do with National ID Cards, or any other government identity cards. You are confused. Smart Cards provide user-based authentication and digital certificates. It is just an IT concept for securing Windows networks.

No need for put downs, 'confused', specially when you don't know the story... Smart Cards are not only used by Microsoft, they are used by many major universities for all sorts of information and are rumored to eventually include data of all types, including medical history, etc.

You can also find the signature "Smart Card" metal tabs on American Express Blue cards.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
You are confused and it is not a put down merely a pointer, but it sounds to me like you have already made your mind up.

There are several different types of cards that are refered to as smart cards. You were asking about Microsoft smart cards then trailed off and started grouping them all together. You are mistaking one type for another, that's all there is to it.

top topics

join