It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you decide what is okay to eat?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn
I hear your argument but I am not sure whether you think if this the natural order of things then we should be accepting of being the choice item on the menu.

We ARE included on the menu. It just so happens that we are smarter than tigers and bears to stop them from eating us.

But if we are dumber than aliens, then it was nice knowing ya.

[edit on 3/12/2009 by eldard]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
Take a vegan, and strand him in the arctic north. After a while, he will put all personal beliefs aside, and do what he has to to survive. If that means hunting, killing, cleaning and eating a cute little bunny rabbit, he'll gladly forget he's a vegan until his belly is full.

I actually did this to myself, not literally, flew to the Arctic or the deep south, but I starved myself.

Guess what, I found out that we really don't need food, water + positive thoughts + communing with nature will suffice!

It was even confirmed scientifically that reduced food intake causes the brain to do something 'magical' to itself and the body, and switches to a very efficient mode. Sorry, I don't have the link handy at the moment.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

The question is, how long before the magic fails?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

Originally posted by Unit541
Take a vegan, and strand him in the arctic north. After a while, he will put all personal beliefs aside, and do what he has to to survive. If that means hunting, killing, cleaning and eating a cute little bunny rabbit, he'll gladly forget he's a vegan until his belly is full.

I actually did this to myself, not literally, flew to the Arctic or the deep south, but I starved myself.

Guess what, I found out that we really don't need food, water + positive thoughts + communing with nature will suffice!

It was even confirmed scientifically that reduced food intake causes the brain to do something 'magical' to itself and the body, and switches to a very efficient mode. Sorry, I don't have the link handy at the moment.

I will agree that we can survive on a lot fewer calories then is normally consumed by the average America.

I am taking a guess here, but I am sure that we consume at least twice as many calories here in American then are needed for us to survive but our bodies need nutrition and water for us to stay healthy and to function normally.

Of course many people fast for a variety of reasons but during a fast most people are pretty sedentary and as far as the effect on the mind, well, it is medically proven that when the body is deprived food and water for long enough periods that delirium is a common result.

I am still interested though in whether people would be able to comfortably consume, under normal circumstance, any item that we currently think of as food if it could communicate intelligently with you.

Is the ability to intelligently communicate a factor that would influence our comfort with eating an item?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join