It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hellooooo SKYNET!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

A supercomputer with the processing power of two million laptops is to be built by IBM for the US government to help manage its nuclear arsenal.

Link to news article

Actually, the main purpose of the Sequoia program is to run complex computer simulations for nuclear weapons research. It will allow nuclear scientists to determine whether weapons are safe and will work as required under the DOE's National Nuclear Security Administration stockpile stewardship program. But hey, with all that extra computing power, I'm sure they can find some other odd jobs for the system, like say...

SKYNET

I'm only
because I know this won't happen. Right?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
"The main purpose of the Sequoia program is to run complex computer simulations for nuclear weapons research. It will allow nuclear scientists to determine whether weapons are safe...

Yes, let's make sure all those nuclear weapons are safe... wouldn't want anyone to get hurt using them!

[edit on 4-2-2009 by kshaund]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kshaund

I completely agree with you, kshaund. What is the true purpose for Sequoia?

This whole story reminds me of that 1983 move, titled Wargames, starring Matthew Broderick and Alley Sheedy. The computer's name was WOPR (War Operation Plan Response). Sounds like someone in creative writing is giving help to strategic military advisors.

They better have a failsafe against Sequoia. Like a power plug. Or an off-switch. Even in Star Trek, Data had an off switch.

new topics

join