It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Things in Mars image!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

You're right that it's not rocks, but it's not anything unusual either; it's just the rear underside of the mars exploration rover. That's where the two rear hazcams are located to detect threats to the rover's navigation before they reach the wheels.

If you still have any doubts, those "objects" appear in every rear hazcam image, thus it must be part of the rover.
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 19-1-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
As much as I hate to burst the bubble, that is in fact the underbelly of the rover.

Here is a rear hazcam image from Sol 1203 found HERE where we can see the ground and the horizon with a mountian in the distance, the sky, and then the underbelly of the rover with your "objects".

Sol 1203

Sol1203 zoom-in with notation.

Sorry but no weird alien object here. Just the rover's underbelly.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 19-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Well Rfburns, I can't thank you enough and everyone else as well.

I shall now be able to sleep pleasant dreams knowing that the Mars rovers are safely going about their business as usual.

Its absolutley uncanny how easy that was to solve.

Glad you took notice and helped me out. At least it wasn't rocks for sure.

From now on I'll carefully take this into consideration when viewing the hazcam images.

Note to the mod, you may close this thread at your convenience and thank-you to all. Most educational!

MOB

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
No problem! The key thing to note is that the rear hazcam is mounted under the rover, and the lens on the camera is a "fish eye" wide angle view lens, which gives the image its curved look.

If the hazard cam takes an image and the rover is at an angle, like as if it was going up a hill, the camera wont see the horizon, and the result would be an image with the ground, and the underbelly with those 3 weird things. At that point it would be easy to get confused.

You know what is really odd..is that even tho NASA knows what that is,,they could have put something familiar on the underbelly, like a NASA emblem or JPL emblem or something...because in the black and white images from the hazcams, the shade of grey of the underbelly can often look like the shade of grey of the sky from a grey scale image taken by the PanCam!!!

NASA just loves to play with our heads like that. But lucky for us out here, there are those of us who have been on to NASA's "head games" for over 30 years and we spot them right away. And I love to point out to the people how NASA does their mind tricks and catch them in the act.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 19-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by marsorbust

Hi marsorbust...

I know that RFBurns, ngchunter, and others have already answered this question for you, but here is a little movie that shows clearly what the others are saying:

I know you now understand, but hopefully this will clear up the question for those who are not yet convinced that this is simply parts of the rover.

[edit on 1/19/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thanks ngchunter,RFBurns and Soylent Green Is People.

Well I personally could not see this even rotating the picture so I had another scout and came up with this picture I can really see it's the underbelly in this pic:

Source:

Still a good thinking post marsorbust.

Zelong.

[edit on 19/1/09 by Zelong]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The middle object, while they appear to be nothing more than rocks, has a oddly 'regular' apperance, in it's shape and some apperant patterning on the object.

My money is on rock, but my mind is open. There's just so little we know about Mars.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
The middle object, while they appear to be nothing more than rocks, has a oddly 'regular' apperance, in it's shape and some apperant patterning on the object.

My money is on rock, but my mind is open. There's just so little we know about Mars.

What object are you refereing to? In which image is this "middle object"?

2nd line

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

that is the worst mars photo I've ever seen looks like an ultra closeup of a fingernail

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

Here is the photo from the OP:

Rear cam image

The "middle object" in that photo is part of the underside of the rover -- just as the whole top 1/4 part of that photo is the underside of the rover.

Please review some of the past 5 posts or so above yours where it has been explained exactly what we are looking at here -- and what we are looking at is the underside of the rover.

Almost ALL of the rear hazcam photos from Spirit and Opportunity include this part of the rover in the top of the frame.

Originally posted by Razimus

that is the worst mars photo I've ever seen looks like an ultra closeup of a fingernail

Click on the photo link in the OP (the link I copied above labeled "Rear Cam Image"). THAT is the whole photo.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

The "middle object" in that photo is part of the underside of the rover -- just as the whole top 1/4 part of that photo is the underside of the rover.

Ahh, I see now. Not any Martian feature at all, but in fact a part of the rover itself.

Completely out of context, I had assumed the picture was from the front of the rover, which was perhaps scaling the wall of an impact crater, looking up at three boulders on the crater's rim.

Thanks for explaining it to me.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Great thread! It's odd but in the OP picture the rover wheels look to be in a wicker chair or something. It's probably just bundled cables and wires but it's ugly and therefore an embarrassing example of our technology should an otherworlder find it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join