It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world ending on 2012 was a mistake but it was not wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The calender ending at 2012 was supposed to be a prophecy to when the world was ending.
The prophecy was right though, they just got the wrong date/year.
Think about it, during those times peoples views on the size of the world were way off.
During the Mayan era, their world was not very big, probably limited to their region in C America.
Well, the prophecy did come true, the world did end for the Mayan people and it ended quite abruptly from many different things like dying crops, record dryspells causing water reserves to drop, killing people for food, and sacrificing children to their god.
So yea, they were wiped out, their world did end

btw, when did this category pop up? Shouldnt it be in the general conspiracy group instead of Mysterious Objects?

[edit on 1/8/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
Think about it, during those times peoples views on the size of the world were way off.

You are assuming of course that they did not have some form of ancient or otherworldly knowledge of our planet and Solar System. You do know that the Mayans kept very accurate records of our solar system, planet sizes, colours and positioning don't you? And here is the kicker, some of the knowledge that the Mayans knew was only rediscovered by us in the early 1900's due to advancements in our technology. How did they know, so accurately, about our solar system so many thousands of years ago?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

No no, i knew that.. Ive read extensive stories about the Mayans, I know that they were way, way ahead of the game in their knowledge in astronomy.
but they didnt know how big their world was in terms of civilization.
Compare what i was saying to what Caesar wanted to do, which was rule the world but his view of his world was very small compared to what it really was.
Thats all im saying.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
How did they know, so accurately, about our solar system so many thousands of years ago?

Well, maybe they werent so accurate. I actually was all aboard the idea not that the world was coming to an end, but that something MIGHT happen unusual around 2012 because the sun was supposed to line up with the center of the galaxy at that time. (December 2012)

However, on another thread I learned some scientifically undisputed facts about that galactic alignment. Most importantly, that this once ever 26,000 year even had already occurred. On May 7, 1998. I didnt just take the guys word for it. I never do. I went digging, and sure enough. He was right. It is over with.

2012wiki.com...

The precise alignment of the solstice point (the precise center-point of the body of the sun as viewed from earth) with the Galactic equator was calculated to occur in 1998 (Jean Meeus, Mathematical Astronomy Morsels, 1997 - mentioned by Jenkins at alignment2012.com... ). This date was further refined by Smelyakov to May 7 1998 (tech.groups.yahoo.com...). Therefore, if the significance of 2012 is related to a precise intersecting of the Galactic Equator, whatever that significance would have meant would already have occurred.

The solstice 2012 event will only be an apparent alignment, not an actual one.

en.wikipedia.org...

John Major Jenkins, and others [14] claim that an alignment will occur when the sun rises above the horizon on December 21 2012, at which point the sun will rise in the middle of the Milky Way Galaxy, thus causing an alignment between the earth, sun, and the galactic center.[15] This event is said to cause numerous earth changes, however that is not possible considering that the event is only a visual phenomenon from the earths perspective, which is caused by the precession of the equinoxes or the 26,000 year wobble of the earth, which only changes our perspective, not the actual position of the earth in relation to the galaxy. In short, there is no gravitational force or radiation to be expected from this event because other than the tilt of the earth, nothing will be any different than any other solstice.

Since the physical alignment has already occurred, and that would have been the one that would have brought physical consequences if there were to be any, there really doesnt seem to be any reason to expect that the apparent alignment will do anything at all. There would be absolutely no physical reason for it to.

Of course there remains the possibility that there is some other reason Dec 2012 was significant in the Mayan calendar, but since the whole event was being sold on the alignment aspect I have yet to hear what that is.

I know this will not change many peoples minds. The thread where the guy presented this evidence did not change many, but, this is science, and when it comes to astronomy, I trust science. Humans have been successfully calculating planetary movements for quite a long time, and we have only gotten better at it over time.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Here's a new article in the Long Island News about 2012:

2012 article

[edit on 8-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The maya calendar is pretty accurate, it can still tell solar eclipse with only being seconds off, But one thing they didnt tell you about the calendar is that it doesnt end in 2012 its is only the end of the age, and it will start a new age, it still has one more cycle to go before it completely ends, which i think will last like another 2500 years or so.

new topics

top topics

join