It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Our Atmosphere Rotate With The Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I want to start by saying that i know the atmosphere is obviously contained around the earth, so thus, does travel with it,
However what i want to know is do the different layers of atmosphere actually rotate as the earth does,
Or does the atmosphere stay stationary (relatively speaking) and the earth rotate within it?

Its been bugging me and i could not find any conclusive scientific evidence on my own,
If i have not explained my question clearly enough, then feel free to ask for more detail on what exactly I am asking

Thanks for any help

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
That is a great question...IMO I believe from what I know...that the atmosphere/weather etc...do rotate with the earth but not at the same speed...it's seems to me it has it's own orbital characteristics within earth orbit...fantastic question though!

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
In general the atmosphere rotates at the same rate as the latitude where it happens to be. If it didn't there would be a steady 1,000 mph breeze at the equator.

It gets dragged along with the surface of the planet. But, since the angular velocity of the surface changes the farther north of south of the equator you are there are differences. These differences are what cause the circular movement of air around high and low pressure areas. The Coriolis effect.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
In general the atmosphere rotates at the same rate as the latitude where it happens to be. If it didn't there would be a steady 1,000 mph breeze at the equator.

It gets dragged along with the surface of the planet. But, since the angular velocity of the surface changes the farther north of south of the equator you are there are differences. These differences are what cause the circular movement of air around high and low pressure areas. The Coriolis effect.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Phage]

do all the different layers of the atmosphere move in this way?
and what exactly keeps it in place, i assume it is not held in place by gravity,
And if it is held in place then how exactly is it able to rotate?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Please note I qualified my statement with "in general". There is a great deal of variation both at the surface and at higher levels. But the statement holds, the atmosphere rotates as the planet rotates.

The atmosphere is held to the planet by gravity. The solar wind would like to steal it but our magnetosphere prevents that from happening.

new topics

top topics

join