It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitch Mitchell, Jimi's Drummer Is Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Jimi Hendrix changed music. He changed it in every great way possible. He was a visionary. A great song writer. A master on an upside down guitar. As a lefty, I also play on an upside down guitar, but trust me I am NO Jimi. While his legend is that of a massive drug user, he was actually quite aware of drug abuse and kept a log of not only his, but his band mates as well so it wouldn't get out of hand. Jimi kept a pad and paper on him at all times. He would see what was around him, and write about it. Some of his writings are are amazing. My prized possession is a hand written song he wrote. There are several cross outs where he changed the lyrics.
By the way he was a member of the 101'st!

Mitch Mitchell, the last surviving member of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, was the drummer. He was found dead in his hotel room. I spoke of Jimi. Let's talk about Mitch for a second. Listen to the song 'FIRE'. Amazing drumming. Remember folks, this music happened almost 50 years ago. Think about that. Half a century. People still listen to that music and say 'Holy Mackeral! That's amazing!'. Little Wing, The Wind Cried Mary, 51st anniversary, Manic Depression, Hear My Train A'Comin....... my goodness - amazing stuff. I play a pretty mean version of Hear My Train A'Comin' on my 12 string, but man - I am no Jimi that's for sure.

To this day people try to copy the band. I'm not talking about an Elvis, or Frank Sinatra impersonator. Jimi did things that still cannot be duplicated. Do you know that he couldn't read music?

Stevie Ray Vaughn came the closest in my opinion. I remember in the mid 80's when I saw a virtually unknown artist named Stevie Ray Vaughn in a theater that sat maybe 500 people. If there were 200 people there that night it was alot. I was so close that I could see the color of his eyes. I had the chance to meet him and party with him that night. I told him that 'Jimi would be proud of you.'
Know what he said? "Don't disrespect Johnny" He called him Johnny. Most people arent aware but Jimi's birth name was Johnny Allen Hendrix. Then he said "I can play music because he led the way." Pretty strong, eh?

John 'Mitch' Mitchell. A great drummer. May you rest in peace. Say hi to Jimi for me.
Tell Jimi, Janis, Stevie, Jim Croce, Marvin that when I get up there that we need to have a major jam session.

Mitch Mitchell

[edit on 13-11-2008 by lombozo]

[edit on 13-11-2008 by lombozo]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
May he rest in peace.. The world lost another fabulous musician.

new topics

join