It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asatru

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
In keeping with the subject, are there any Asatruar on the site? I am a budding Asatruar, though I wouldn't say I was there yet. The thing of it is, I'm not sure if I can take that jump, or if I have, for lack of a better term; the faith. I love the flavor, the tenants are honorable, the myths I read as a child of Odin and Thor, Loki and Baldur were always my favorite. The idea of a chance to make the hallowed halls of Valhalla is quite romantic. I also admire their symbols and their runes, I have tattoos of Thor's Hammer Mjolnir, Odin's Triple Drinking Horns and the Valknut. And to boot, I am in the very beginning stages of writing a research paper for my English 102 class on Asatruism. After all is said and done, I'd like to meet others interested in the religion, generating some good discussion on the topic, and/or the sharing of interesting ideas and such. So what, if anything, does everyone make of the alleged ties to white supremacy groups?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I'd hardly say there's anything "alleged" about it.

From it's very start there have been radical racist elements within Asatru.

You should read the book "Gods of the Blood - Pagan Revival and White Seperatism"

Very enlightening on this subject.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
After I read a book about Norse myths I became very interested in the characters and stories and did some research, needless to say I was amazed when I found out that many people still worshiped Odin and the other gods, not only in Europe but all over the world. Although I'm an atheist I would be very interested in attending a ceremony and talk about this religion. I liked the myths so much that I bought a necklace of Thor's hammer and have it on my car, it looks cool and shiny lol.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I am not, but my best friend is.

She thinks making it about white supremacy is stupid. She thinks it would be the same as trying to say Christianity was white supremest simply because the KKK burns crosses.

Every group of people thinks their God(s) love them best. Every group of people think that they are the favored children of their indigenous God(s), it may be a self centered notion, but it isnt necessarily a hateful one. You can make it a hateful one, and there are hateful Christians, Muslims, __________ (insert name of religion here) but to say the religion itself is about that is taking it a bit too far.

Good luck with your chosen faith. My friend does not frequent this board or I would introduce you.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I appreciate the replies. I was just searching the internet on the topic of "Why Asatru?" and I stumbled across a post that, quite frankly, move me to tears. I would like to share it with everyone, with all due credit to the original poster, John_T_Mainer on beleifnet forums.

"There was a time a long time ago when I thought the disperate parts of myself were at war with each other: poet, scholar, warrior. I feared the berserk rage within, felt the poet was somehow not masculine, and the scholars hunger seemed at odds with the need to act.

It was then that I was found. Odin found me. Odin taught me that all the disperate parts were one whole, as the many bars of a patten welded sword. Their individual strengths hammered into one cohesive and unbreakable whole by the unifying purpose of duty. Odin taught me that duty.

Why Asatru? Why accept my responsibility to myself, to my kindred, to my community, my nation, my world? Why accept my linkage with, and duty to all of my sacred ancestors from the beginning, down to the last of my decendants as yet unborn? Why accept the wonder and joy of every new day, every new challenge, every new trial with the mad laughter of the storm, and the eternal patience of the ice?

I suppose I could close my eyes to the struggles of those around me, the heroism of the thousands who choose to embrace their challenges and rise to meet them. I could close my ears to the spirits of my hearth and home, field and forest, stream and sea.

I could let the problems of today pass me by, avert my gaze, and pray another will face them for me. I could let those whom I care about go down into the dark unresisting.

I could, but I am Asatru, so I won't.

I will face my challenges with a grin, accept nothing less than victory until death, and face my gods and ancestors secure in the knowledge that I made the most of the life they gave to me, and that my children and neighbors will face less danger and strife for my efforts.

It is enough"

I cannot begin to describe just how this touched me, yet I began weeping not even halfway though this. Anyone else feel that this is quite poignant?

btw: Should I post the link to that post? Just curious as to the preferred method of doing things around here. Thanks!

new topics

top topics

join