It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the end or the beginning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
watching the news the last few weeks has been freaky and has reminded me of the first few minutes of The Road Warrior starring mel gibson. the narrator goes on about "when the world was powered by the black fuel" and how "their leaders talked and talked and talked". i guess that's about where we are now with this 700B bailout. i'm wondering about buying canned goods with cash and burying it. and then buying a crossbow to shoot rabbits. so, is this the end or the beginning of the american version of the road warrior? i sure as heck don't want to have to eat or be eaten by other people. this is going to suck real bad isn't it?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well if you're asking for survival strategies you're posting in the wrong spot.

As to what you are asking, I think you need to calm the paranoia a bit, and whatever you do don't bury you're cash. It will be worthless in a year at this rate. If you're gonna bury anything, bury silver or even old electronics.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

no not going to bury the cash just spend it asap. i know it's paranoia but isn't this kind of how the first depression started? i'll be better after another ECT zap.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Not really. The 700B bail out isnt really about "black fuel" but about horrible financial practices by banking institutions and lending. Its just trickled down to everything else.

Belibe me, if oil disappeared tomorrow, you would be surprised at the govs that would suddenly be able to "cope" with another energy source. BVut you wont see it until its really needed.

Originally posted by skrowcam
watching the news the last few weeks has been freaky and has reminded me of the first few minutes of The Road Warrior starring mel gibson. the narrator goes on about "when the world was powered by the black fuel" and how "their leaders talked and talked and talked". i guess that's about where we are now with this 700B bailout. i'm wondering about buying canned goods with cash and burying it. and then buying a crossbow to shoot rabbits. so, is this the end or the beginning of the american version of the road warrior? i sure as heck don't want to have to eat or be eaten by other people. this is going to suck real bad isn't it?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Honestly, I don't know if it's all doom and gloom. While I be the first tosay that it's not looking good, I am not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Seems like Im one step behind you tonight man.. hehe.
Right, I dont think are looking so hot for we the people here in America.
I wouldnt count us out just yet as Speaker suggests.

To the OP. I would say its never a bad idea to stock up on some items, and keep a little extra at the homestead. However its always a good idea to remember not to brag about how much stuff you plan on putting back.
I know you might be tempted to tell the people who live around you such things, but remember, if things do go down like that.. They will say HEY! that guy down the road always bragged about how much food he was stocking up on.. Lets go take it from them, IM hungry!

Keep in mind, you dont have to doom and gloom, but just play it smart.
Dont go on any wild spending spree's for crap you dont need.
Now is not the time to be doing any extra spending, or long travles.

Sit tight, and play it smart. Not much else we can do right now but ride this mother out, and hold our own.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It's not the beginning, or the end.

It's the beginning OF the end !

Now, if you will excuse me while I crawl back into my deep underground fallout bunker...

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Oh, it's just politics as usual. American survived the great depression, and this doesn't really do anything to avert another depression.

Think of it as an opportunity to vote against every single Congressperson that votes for a blank check bill. Just send an email to your Congressperson advising them that you will vote against anyone that votes for this bill, then follow up and do it. We may have a Republican Congress and a Democratic President though.

If nothing else, it would show Congress that we can vote them out, which is after all the American way. In the meantime, we can explore participation in a new political party, like the Green Party in Europe.

Other nations have successfully created new parties and established more accountability, so maybe that's what we need to do. Elect Ron Paul for President under some banner or the other.

I received an email today that had bad math in it and modified it. It's a New Plan, and it might stimulate the Government Bailout

OK.....here's a plan I could live with.

I'm against the $700,000,000,000.00 bailout of the Banks.

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $700,000,000,000 to America in a "We
Deserve It Dividend".

To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000
bonafide U.S. Citizens 18+.

Our population is about 301,000,000 +/- counting every man, woman
and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18 and up..

So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $700 billon that equals
$3500.00.

My plan is to give $3500 to every person 18+ as a "We Deserve It
Dividend".

Of course, it would NOT be tax free.

So let's assume a tax rate of 33.3%.

Every individual 18+ has to pay $1,167.00 in taxes. Let Uncle Sam

pre-tax it even!

That sends $233,400,000,000 right back to Uncle Sam.

But it means that every adult 18+ has $2,333.00 in their pocket.

A husband and wife team has $4,666.00.

What would you do with $2,333.00 to $4,666.00 in your family?

Pay off your past due mortgage payments – foreclosure crisis solved.

Repay college loans - what a great boost to new grads

Put away money for college - it'll be there

Save in a bank - create money to loan to entrepreneurs.

Down payment on a new car - create jobs.

Pay back taxes, then the government gets more!

Invest in the market - capital drives growth

Pay for your parent's medical insurance - health care improves

Enable Deadbeat Dads to come clean - or else

Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18+ including the
folks who lost their jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other
company that is cutting back. And, of course, for those serving in
our Armed Forces.

If we're going to re-distribute wealth let's really do it...

If we're going to do an $700 billion bailout, let's bail out every
adult U S Citizen 18+!.

Well, it was a nice pipe dream, but we are screwed.....

top topics

join