It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving on vegetarian diet....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Interesting article on vegetarianism
www.energygrid.com...
www.energygrid.com...

I'am a raw foodist who still eats meat and dairy. But im looking to maybe become raw vegetarian one day. Even though i still think the raw food diet is the most superior of all.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
why survive on vegatarian diet when you can eat a vegetarian gain all those funky vits and minerals and do the world a favour

sorry you eat all your food raw and one day hope to become a raw vegetarian ...... stop eating meat make that choice today go on you know you want to hey presto just by not poutting meat in your mouth and chewing the battles won *yay you*

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
As a vegetarian of almost 7 years I can honestly say I hands down feel the healthiest when I am eating raw vegetarian

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Been a vegetarian for about a year now. Works perfectly. Sometimes I eat fish though, and shellfish, but not usually.
I feel fine. No probs at all. There are pretty nice substitutes for meat if I would feel for it badly like soy-beef and soy-brugers and quorn and such...corn schnitzel is pretty nice too..

But eating the food raw is no better option that cooked food. Many vegetables become more nutritious when heated, tomatoes for example release their anti-oxidants when heated. And they taste better warm as well.

Do it. The world will thank you and you will thank yourself too. To me, eating meat is pretty absurd. I mean, why? Some people say "I eat meat because I'm a carnivore, yeeeahh, wooo!!!" but I say carnivores eat their flesh straight from the animal while it's still warm. We eat meat that has been laying around for a couple of weeks. That makes us vultures at best.
I don't wanna be no scavenger.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
At the moment im suffering little iron, b12 deficiency and b-vitamins from the medical drugs i took so im kind of little scared going vegetarian till i improve my health which is ironic since my body doesnt want meat anymore.
I tend to sun(natural heat) and blend my tomatoes to get antioxidants.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
It would be ok except for the fact that most "veggies "you buy in supermarkets have pesticides in them, maybe organic may not have as much, maybe. If you were able to grow your own then you would be on the right track. Or if you knew 100 Percent that the farm you were getting your produce from did not now or has not used pesticides in the past in the land where those produce where grown.

Here is a quote from the Hobby Farms magazine. July/ augst 2008.page 95.

" For example, California strawberry farmers applied 335 pounds of pesticdes per acre and " you cannot wash that stuff off" says allen. " Those are systemic pesticides; they stay in the food. You can wash it right down to the seed and you can't get those pesticides out.

We know these chemicals are making people sick. If you look at the studies that are coming out, such as the one in which scientists found that if you have been exposed to pesticides 250 days in your life, you have 60 percent higher chance of contracting Parkinson's disease then people who have not had that exposure. Or the one that found kids fed chemically produced fruits and vegetables had oranophosphates, a known nerve poison, in their urine and saliva, but as soon as they were fed organic food, those organophosphates went away.
So by simply eating food off the supermarket shelves, you are going to get nerve poison in your system. That's crazy...."

I also have heard this about chiles grapes.
There are reports of the people who pick the grapes in chile whos fingers start to fall off over time because of the amount of pesticides they use on
the grapes.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
But eating the food raw is no better option that cooked food.

Actually the raw food is almost always more nutritious. Not only does the high temps potentially deteriorate them, but juices are lost during the cooking process.

And congrats on being a vegetarian

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

I almost exclusively buy organic foods. But yes you're right, if you don't buy organic then there are health concerns inherent to eating raw food veggie.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by meadowfairy
At the moment im suffering little iron, b12 deficiency and b-vitamins from the medical drugs i took so im kind of little scared going vegetarian till i improve my health which is ironic since my body doesnt want meat anymore.
I tend to sun(natural heat) and blend my tomatoes to get antioxidants.

You said you still eat meat and dairy. No way you have a b12 deficiency unless you have some medical condition causing it.

What makes you think you're lacking iron?

What meds (if you care to share that)? You said improve your health... what's going on?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Doesn't that depent on how you cook the vegetables? I heard that putting 'em in the micro does not affect the nutrition- this contrary to pouplar belif that the mico "nukes" everything into pointless goo.

Also steam-cooking is ok, but frying and boiling sure degrades the quality of the vitamines.

Thanks for the encouragement! Have a broccoli, it's on the house!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Yep, that's true. Even if you peel an apple, you only get rid of like 30% of the pesticides... That's why I use biologically grown greens as much as I can. Where I come from it's very common. Slightly more expensive but sooo worth it.

But using this as an argument not to be vegetarian is absurd. How much strange crap is not in the meat you consume? And those livestock sure as hell are eating the same pesticide soaked greens as well. If not worse.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud

Yep, that's true. Even if you peel an apple, you only get rid of like 30% of the pesticides... That's why I use biologically grown greens as much as I can. Where I come from it's very common. Slightly more expensive but sooo worth it.

But using this as an argument not to be vegetarian is absurd. How much strange crap is not in the meat you consume? And those livestock sure as hell are eating the same pesticide soaked greens as well. If not worse.

I was not arguing the fact that being a vegetarian is a bad thing, I was pointing out the pit falls of pesticides in foods and just that by simply being a vegetarian does not mean you are eating heathly if your eating foods grown with pesticides, and yes meat is full of chemicals as well.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I have to ask

If I was stuck on a vegetarian diet

Why exactly would I want to survive?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I have to ask

What exactly are you asking?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Ha. Ha. Ha.

Funny guy you!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Maybe you would start to see that 'divinity' is not just within you but within others as well. Scary thought?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

"And congrats on being a vegetarian"? What? I've never understood this about vegetarians and vegans for that matter. Why congratulate someone for this choice? Its like someone high fiving me for being a gun owner. Just doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

Does this mean you feel I should be ashamed that I eat meat, because I made that choice? Im not trying to start an arguement, I just dont understand why I hear so many veggies congratulating each other.

To the OP, alot of people seem to do it, works for them. I like raw veggies, right out of the garden. If you do your research and make certain your diet isnt missing anything, I dont see how eating a raw diet could be bad for you. Good luck in your quest.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Anything over 115 degrees sufficiently kills 80%+ of all nutrients. If you microwave something, it creates heat, more so than any natural climate it was cropped in and would eliminate most of the benefits. There's some talk about the adverse health effects of microwaving any of the food you eat.

"Never does nature say one thing and wisdom another." - Juvenal, Satires

Sending radio waves through my food is about as far from nature as you can get. Count me out.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by meadowfairy

I've been a vegetarian for more than 20 years.
I have - literally - never been sick in all these years.
(And I am told I am not the worst looking female that ever walked the Earth. ;-))

Just thought somebody here might perhaps want to hear from somebody who has been - still is - "there".

And I am gone.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

Why shouldn't I congratulate him?

If I believe it's a good choice. Why not?

top topics

join