It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help With Explaining My Beliefs.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
For me, playing along is the best option. I have no doubt that my mom would do everything in her power to make me think the same way as her on this subject.

She would take away every privilege that she could until I do these classes and agree that Catholicism is the way to go.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by goodflips

Blimy! That's a fairly stark situation.

So what about in two years then, are you gunna say I was just playing along, or will you tell her now, or even not at all?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

truly magnificent post Nohup!

OP, i think you need to do as much research as you can without letting others tell you what to believe. Gather as much historical, empirical, and personal experiences as you can before you attempt to resolve a dilemma like this. I also suggest you wait until you're around 20 before you make any life changing decisions as to your spirituality or lack there of. Your mental capacity is not guaranteed to be fully developed until your around that age. Best of luck.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
In response to Good Wolf's response to 'The Golden Rule' post, I couldn't agree more.

Then star me
Dont leave me hanging.

Originally posted by JPhish
20 before you make any life changing decisions as to your spirituality or lack there of. Your mental capacity is not guaranteed to be fully developed until your around that age. Best of luck.

What are you basing that on?

[edit on 9/18/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Well, I don't know how I'll feel about this in two years but I know she will be asking me about it. When that time comes, I will tell her the truth.

Even she said that her belief started when her dad left and she didn't do anything religious for four years. Then she went to a Catholic church with a friend and realized how good it was for her.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Done.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Edit: double post.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Originally posted by goodflips

Ah. I c. Well you're between a loved one and a hard place, and I don't much envy you for it. But from what you've told us, you seem to know what you need to do.

I wish I could give you some advice but I can't, I'm not much older than you. But you impress me all the same, it's really good to see there are teens out there who can still think for themselves and haven't been dumbed down in modern society.

Good work

reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Sounds like your mom is insecure about her own beliefs if she has to force them on you.

ask her, " If God created everything then who created God?"

You need to use a mental kung fu-this is when you take someone's energy and instead
of bluntly stopping it you merely sidestep it and divert it back to them.
First off-Jesus Christ -any way you look at this guy he was one special dude.
How many people alive today will influence billions of people 200 centuries from now.
Heck most people cannot influence their own garbageman, so you have to give kudos
to Jesus for setting up his paradigm.

One mental kung fu is to begin to act like Jesus.
When you are watching Hitler on the history channel say,
"He who has not sinned cast the first stone."
You can use this when any murderer or bad guy is shown on the news-constantly repeat this during the news ad nauseum-
this will go a long way to making your mom get off your case.
And when saying this make the sign of the cross in the air and say, "Jesus and I forgive you
now go forth and multiply, add, and subtract."
And when people counter this with any lame argument say-" Doesn't Jesus preach forgiveness?
You can add, "Jesus said not to give up on anybody and that Jesus had compassion for thieves and prostitutes.,
especially for prostitutes if you consider Mary Magdalen-this is one area that I am going to ask the priest to allow me to do special research on"

If you need to ratchet things up a bit try the following...
When you go to church and they collect money-go to where the money is and overturn
the tables and say, "Jesus said to cast out the moneychangers from the temple."
The demon moneychangers are destroying the sanctity of life!"
Even during Jesus time there were corrupt priests who got fat off the naivete of the people."
If you say this they will ask your mom not to bring you to church.

Finally you can try what worked for me when I was 12
-I merely brought a book of jokes and read them until I was laughing uncontrollably.
The priest stopped the mass 3 times and had the altar boy come down and ask me to stop until they finally asked me to leave and not come back.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Know that one.... my mom was Catholic and made me go, but after a time when I was 17 I could hardly stand it. these church people seemed to never learn. Here Jesus would tell us to love one another and they still go home and hurt their family and hate their neighbors.

Me ....I LOVE God, or Creator Source as I see it. I always have and always will. No one can prove anything to me that would change my LOVE.

But my beliefs have changed greatly.

Now I teach my son that God is within everyone, and that when he looks at someone he is looking in to the face of God... for in that way he will develope respect for everyone and allow them their space to express theirselves.

When I got to 17 I told my mom I could no longer go to church with her. I finally won, but to see the pain in her face was alot to bare.... so I would go with her at least once a month... for her, for I love her.

Religions are falling away. They were useful in teaching people at one point, but now I feel they are holding people back from their innate divinity. Catholics seem to feel only the Pope or a praying priest can talk to God but that is an outright lie!

We all can talk to God, Creator, every second of any day! God is in our hearts, in our cells.

You are young but you understand something that does not need to be taught! Respect that. Learn more of course, but let that knowledge you already have, the unspoken truth inside, let that be your true guide!

You do not need to define what you believe... .. I would suggest just live full, well and respect your personal integrity.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Look for the things that you do believe and make sure you write them down. That makes it so much easier when someone asks just what you do believe. I have a little story on the subject, read this:

What I believe.

If you do the same you'll realize in no time that it's not what your told to believe thats important, it's what your heart tells you that is.

Hope this helps,

wupy

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Firstly, welcome to the group!

Second, religion is what ever you make of it inside you own heart, mind , and soul. Be wary of the main stream religions for they are after nothing but the control of your pocket book and your life.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   

ahhh 16...its a tough age by any means though to have to deal with the realism that your mum rules the roost esp in regards to religion...is sh*tty. you came asking for answers though your posts suggest otherwise. you know what has to be done....just keep your mind open to other religions, races ectect and you'll do just fine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join