It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC technical data free online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Check out this link if you are interested.

JINST is proud to publish the complete scientific documentation of the CERN Large Hadron Collider (LHC) machine and detectors. These papers are open access and free to read.

If you understand this kind of documentation, you will be able to say whether it can blow up, generate a static black hole or produce a stranglet chain reaction or not :-) I'd say they are being quite open, propably being massively bombarded with suspicious e-mails and stuff. Documentation is in PDF format.

No registration required. Just read.

(edit: I tried to read some 10 pages each, and I don't really have much of a clue what they are talking about. Familiar words, sure, but since there are around 10 people alive on our little blue ball with continents and stuff who can understand this stuff, this won't help much :-)

[edit on 26/8/08 by rawsom]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Ahh pooh, it is timing out. Is that the direct link to the document, or is there another link to click on after that? I'm REALLY interested in seeing what's out there.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It is a link to a page that contains direct links to PDF-files. I'm not going to figure out a direct link to each one of those. There are 1600 pages in about 6-8 PDF-files.

It is not timing out for me, but that site was also slashdotted, so you can expect some severe traffic on that site. After that item moves down on front page of slashdot, you can expect the site to actually work again :-)

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Thanks a bunch for the info
I didn't see the slashdot - that'd explain it. I'll try again later. Thanks again for posting the link, I've been dying to know more about the LHC.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rawsom
Check out this link if you are interested.

JINST is proud to publish the complete scientific documentation of the CERN Large Hadron Collider (LHC) machine and detectors. These papers are open access and free to read.

If you understand this kind of documentation, you will be able to say whether it can blow up, generate a static black hole or produce a stranglet chain reaction or not :-) I'd say they are being quite open, propably being massively bombarded with suspicious e-mails and stuff. Documentation is in PDF format.

No registration required. Just read.

(edit: I tried to read some 10 pages each, and I don't really have much of a clue what they are talking about. Familiar words, sure, but since there are around 10 people alive on our little blue ball with continents and stuff who can understand this stuff, this won't help much :-)

That's really cool, thanks.

As for doing the calculations, though, CERN is just a large particle accelerator. you don't need to know the minutiae of it's design to tell what it's going to do. You really just need to know the power, composition and width of the beams it produces and collides. That an far more math than most people know what to do with, of course.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Ive recently graduated university with a degree in geophysics and absolutely loved quantum and astrophysics. Miss all the study and that so this will make for some good reading
Thanks a lot for putting them on

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I wonder...

Actually, there's a CERN document server online. And most of it is also public. Most don't know this.

here's a link
(goes to cdsweb.cern.ch...)-

You can view their reports, illustrations and notes. Most of it is really boring, though. I'm not sure if these are of any use, not much technical stuff.

[edit on 27/8/08 by rawsom]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Now that I already started, here's a link to CERN that contains all public information about LHC. Most propably have already been there, but I'm sure there are always people lurking who haven't

(edit: something I didn't know before. All the magnets will be pre‑cooled to -193.2°C (80 K) using 10 080 tonnes of liquid nitrogen, before they are filled with nearly 60 tonnes of liquid helium to bring them down to -271.3°C (1.9 K).)

[edit on 27/8/08 by rawsom]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Another quite complete documentation is The Stanford Two-Mile Accelerator, "The Blue Book". After a furious fight in copyrirght(c) issues, they managed to get it published again, for free. It contains descriptions of problems they had back then, when they first built it. Solutions are also included. Very interesting stuff.

link is here

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Here's a video for those who are interested in seeing the construction of the ATLAS detector that is going in to LHC:

[edit on 27-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

join