It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain's Focus on Georgia Raises Question of Propriety

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

McCain's Focus on Georgia Raises Question of Propriety

www.washingtonpost.com

By Dan Eggen and Robert Barnes
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, August 15, 2008; Page A16

Standing behind a lectern in Michigan this week, with two trusted senators ready to do his bidding, John McCain seemed to forget for a moment that he was only running for president.

Asked about his tough rhetoric on the ongoing conflict in Georgia, McCain began: "If I may be so bold, there was another president . . ."

He caught himself and started again: "At one time, there was a president named Ronald Reagan who spoke very strongly about America's advocacy for democracy and freedom."

With his Democratic opponent on vacation in Hawaii, the senator from Arizona has been doing all he can in recent days to look like President McCain, particularly when it comes to the ongoing international crisis in Georgia.

Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili says he talks to McCain, a personal friend, several times a day. McCain's top foreign policy adviser, Randy Scheunemann, was until recently a paid lobbyist for Georgia's government. McCain also announced this week that two of his closest allies, Sens. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.), would travel to Georgia's capital of Tbilisi on his behalf, after a similar journey by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

The extent of McCain's involvement in the military conflict in Georgia appears remarkable among presidential candidates, who traditionally have kept some distance from unfolding crises out of deference to whoever is occupying the White House. The episode also follows months of sustained GOP criticism of Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, who was accused of acting too presidential for, among other things, briefly adopting a campaign seal and taking a trip abroad that included a huge rally in Berlin.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-8-2008 by grover]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hmmmm.... Sounds more like McCain is doing others bidding than speaking his own mind if you ask me.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-8-2008 by grover]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Kind of hard to speak your mind and do your own bidding with so many lobbyists whispering in your ear, including the one that worked for Georgia!

More Lobbyists On McCain Staff Than Any Other 08 Candidate

John McCain, who made his name attacking special interests, has more lobbyists working on his staff or as advisers than any of his competitors, Republican or Democrat.
*****SKIP*****
All told, there are 11 current or former lobbyists working for or advising McCain, at least double the number in any other campaign.

How can he possibly keep his own thoughts straight when he has so many "special interest" lobbyists working for him.

It's like a dream come true for the lobbyists, work for McCain and get paid by their "special interest" groups to lobby him!

Officially McCain's top foreign policy adviser, Randy Scheunemann isn't "listed" as lobbying for Georgia anymore, but ...

McCain is already bought and paid for!

The (Nearly) $1 Billion Connection: McCain And His Lobbyists' Clients

[edit on 8/15/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
we all know that mccain is going to be our next president, i wish it wasn't true but Hillary is going to steal votes from Mr. hope. it's funny how we really don't need anymore wars and all we need to do is get out of the middle east, and if we had a smart president we would be calm with russia (understanding that georgia attacked south oss. in the first place) and iran, all we really need to do now is fix our economy, get a different energy infrastructure started up, and keep AMERICANS employed and out of the gutter. so ask yourself who do you really want in office?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
While I am no big Obama fan, I think you are wrong on that... the cards are so stacked up against the Republicans this election cycle that the only way they can win is steal it and if they tried this time around it would be so blatant that I doubt seriously that they could get away with it again.

Actually a McCain presidency doesn't scare me too much... he is most likely going to be facing a veto proof Democratic congress so he is going to be hamstrung and not able to do very much.... thank god.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
LMAO McCain win ? Not a chance in hell .. Not after the last 8 years. I wouldn't be surprised if a republican wasn't elected again for 2-3 election cycles.

McCain has Not only the Bush's record to hamper his election there are SO many other things that will also.

His little comment about staying in IRAQ for the next 100 years is a BIG thing most people bring up when i talk to them about him. Not to mention many other stupid idiotic things he has said in the past and recently.

If McCain wins this election i will eat my underwear ..

As for Clinton...... I just do not understand that woman.. She and her ciminal for a husband should shut the hell up and stay out of the publics eye sight.

Frankly if i was Bill Clinton I would be ashamed to poke my head out in public considering all the scandles etc his presidency was involved in. Not to mention the fact he is one of only 3-4 presidents to have EVER had impeachment hearings taken against him..

Nor the fact there is plenty of evidence to prove he raped a woman while Governor. Both the clintons should be ashamed for that .. And arrested.. Bill for the act and Hilery for helping cover it up.

Clinton Scandels.
Clinton-China
ARKANSAS SUDDEN DEATH SYNDROME
THE BLOOD SCANDAL
CLINTON AND THE MEDIA
WACO
Paula Jones Lawsuit
Whitewater

Etc etc etc ..........

How that woman ever got elected to any office after what she has been involved with is something that should be investigated all on its own.

People are plain stupid.. I will not hide the fact that i do not like the Clintons. I think they are traitors and should be tried and sentenced to prison for what they have done to this country. And frankly how i feal about it has nothing to do with the fact Bill got a Blowjob in the whitehouse.

Damn.. i wish Ron Paul was still in it for president.. Even though he is a Creationist.. I can overlook that little bit of irrationality..

[edit on 16-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

top topics

join